Dr Lyn KidsonLecturer in New Testament
Contact Lyn Kidson
Lyn is a lecturer in New Testament, specialising in the Pastoral Epistles. Her PhD dissertation will be available soon through Mohr Siebeck, Persuading Shipwrecked Men: Rhetorical Strategies in 1 Timothy (WUNT series). She has published a number of book chapters and articles. Lyn is also a honorary postdoctoral associate at Macquarie University and regularly presents at academic conferences. Currently, she is a member of the SBL Disputed Paulines seminar committee and she is also a committee member for the Society for the Study of Early Christianity. Lyn's research interests are in early Christianity in Asia Minor, numismatics, gender and sexuality. In the past, she has served with Campus Crusade for Christ, Student Life (1994-2001) and has been the children and family pastor at Wentworthville Baptist church (2009-2010). Lyn enjoys drawing and painting, gardening, travelling, and having coffee with friends.
Ph.D (Macquarie University)
Dissertation Title The Rhetorical Strategies of the First Chapter of 1 Timothy: The Relationship of the First Chapter to the Purpose of the Letter 2018
MA (Macquarie University) 2013
M.Div (Sydney Missionary and Bible College) 2003
BA (Macquarie University) 1993
Pastoral Epistles, Rhetoric in the NT, letter-writing, numistmatics; gender, households and wealth in early Christianity.
- Lyn M. Kidson (2016). “‘Teaching’ and Other Persuasions: The Interpretation of Didaskein ‘to Teach’ in 1 Timothy 2:2” In E. Murphy and D. Starling., The Gender Conversation: Evangelical Perspective on Gender, Scripture and the Christian Life. (pp. ). .
- Lyn M. Kidson (2020). The Anxious Search for the Lost Coin (Luke 15: 8–10): Lost Coins, Women’s Dowries, and the Contribution of Numismatics and Phenomenology to Gospel Research.. Australian Biblical Review, 68 76-88.
- Lyn M. Kidson (2017). “Anonymous Coins, the Great Persecution and the Shadow of Sossianus Hierocles". Journal of Ancient Civilizations, 32.
- Lyn Kidson (2014). “1 Timothy: An Administrative Letter”. Early Christianity, 5.1.
- Lyn Kidson (2013). "Minting in Ephesus: Economics and Self-promotion in the Early Imperial Period”. Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia, . | External link
Research and Professional Grants
- Macquarie Gale British School at Rome Scholarship, Macquarie University
- Real Widows, young widows, and the Limits of Benefaction in 1 Timothy 5:3–16 (2021), Society for the Study of Early Christianity (SSEC), Sydney, 01 May 2021
- "Funding Widows in 1 Timothy 5: The Economy of Asia Minor and the Limits of Benefaction" (2020), Society of Biblical Literature: Early Christianity and the Ancient Economy Unit, Boston (online), 10 Dec 2020
- Panel Member: Review of Christopher Hutson's "First and Second Timothy and Titus" Commentary (2020), Society of Biblcial Literature: Disputed Paulines, Boston (online), 03 Dec 2020
- The Anxious Search for the Lost Coin (Luke 15: 8–10): Lost Coins, Women’s Dowries, and the Contribution of Numismatics and Phenomenology to Gospel Research (2019), The Future of Gospels & Acts Research: Discerning the Trends (CGAR conference), Sydney, Australia, 03 Oct 2019
- The Prophetess Ammia of Philadelphia and the Rise and Growth of the Early Church in Asia Minor (2019), The Early Church Unfolds: People, Places and Potential (SSEC conference), Sydney, Australia, 02 May 2019
- Fasting, Bodily Care, and the Widows of 1 Timothy 5:3-15. (2018), Society for Biblical Literature Annual Conference, Denver, USA, 17 Nov 2018
- Faith, Love, and Sanctity: Signs of Domestication or a Counterattack in 1 Timothy Chapter 2? (2018), Fellowship of Biblical Studies Annual Conference, Sydney, Australia, 26 Sep 2018
- Kidson, L. M.(2020). Persuading Shipwrecked Men: Rhetorical Strategies of 1 Timothy. WUNT. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck. | External link
- Kidson, L. M.(2020). “The Woman at the Well, Jesus, and Prejudice in Samaria (John 4: 3—43)” In J. Harrison and P. Bolt, The Impact of Jesus of Nazareth: Historical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspectives (pp. 293–310). Sydney, AU: Sydney College of Divinity.
- Kidson, L. M.(2020). Fasting, Bodily Care, and the Widows of 1 Timothy 5:3–15. Early Christianity, 11.2 191-205.
Fellowship of Biblical Studies (since 2014)
SCD Centre for Gospels and Acts Research (since 2019)
Society for the Study of Early Christianity (since 2010)
Society of Biblical Literature (since 2016)
If you’d like to contact Lyn, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.