Professor Rikk WattsResearch Professor
Contact Rikk Watts
Alphacrucis College welcomed Professor Rikk Watts as the Dean of Theology in 2017.
After 20 years in academic roles at Regent College, Rikk brings with him esteemed theological credentials as a highly regarded Biblical scholar, particularly in the Gospel of Mark, Isaiah, and the NT use of the OT.
Rikk’s academic experience has included work as instructor at Gordon-Conwell (Boston), Wycliffe Hall (Oxford), La Trobe University (Melbourne), and the Bible College of Victoria (Melbourne).
Rikk’s other diverse experience includes training as an aeronautical engineer and working for a number of years with IBM in large retail systems engineering. He has undertaken degrees in philosophy, art history, and sociology, before eventually studying theology at Boston and Cambridge.
Rikk and his wife Katie have two adult children, Steven and Rebecca. In addition to an obsession with sailing, he enjoys movies, good restaurants, music, reading, and going for long walks with Katie.
Dissertation Title Isaiah's New Exodus in Mark 1990
MA (Gordon-Conwell) 1987
MDiv (Gordon-Conwell) 1987
BSc (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)) 1971
The Gospel of Mark, The Book of Isaiah, The Old Testament in the New Testament, Hermeneutics/Biblical Theology, The Gospel of John, Life of Jesus
Field of Research
- 2203 Philosophy
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- 2299 Other Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Watts, R. (2019). Rethinking Context in the Relationship of Israel’s Scriptures to the NT: Character, Agency, and the Possibility of Genuine Change In David Allen and Steve Smith (Eds.), Methodology in the Use of the Old Testament in the New (pp. ). Bloomsbury/T & T Clarke: London. | External link
- Watts, R. (2018). Rule of the Community and Mark 1:1-15: Preparing the Way in the Wilderness In Ben C. Blackwell, John K. Goodrich, and Jason Maston (eds.), Reading Mark in Context: Jesus and Second Temple Judaism (pp. 41-47). Zondervan Press: Grand Rapids, MI. | External link
- Hawarden OT in the NT International Seminar (2019), Implications of Paul's Use of Narrative for Christian Talk About God, Hawarden Wales, 11 Apr 2019
- The Stronger One and the Dove, Revisiting Two Discarded Images in Mark (2018), ANZABS Gospels Conference, Auckland, NZ, 07 Dec 2018
- Paul: Theologian, Historian, or Something Else? (2018), SBL Denver, Paul and Scripture Section, Denver, USA, 17 Nov 2018
- The Stronger One and the Dove, Revisiting Two Discarded Images in Mark (2018), Hawarden OT in the NT Conference, Wales, UK, 23 Mar 2018
- Rethinking Context in the Relationship of Israel’s Scriptures to the NT: Character, Agency, and the Possibility of Genuine Change (2017), Annual Seminar on the Use of the OT in the NT, Wales, UK, 28 Mar 2017
- Jesus and Modernity (2019), Public Address, Gawler, Australia, 25 Aug 2019
- The Gospel’s Gift of Modernity (2018), NH Seminar, Coleraine, UK, 10 Aug 2018
- Apple, Jobs, and Ive: Design thinking’s profound implications for theology (2018), New Horizons Conference, Keynote, Coleraine, UK, 08 Aug 2018
- Reframing the Trinity (2018), New Horizon Keynote Bible, Coleraine, UK, 06 Aug 2018
- Public lecture: The Gospel of Mark and the 21st Century (2018), Singapore, 16 Jun 2018
- Two keynote addresses (2018), Christians and Creation Care Conference, Singapore, 14 Jun 2018
- Four Keynote addresses (2018), Churches of Christ Annual Conference, NSW and Victoria, Australia, 10 May 2018
- Paul’s world-changing call (2018), Uni Hill Church, Melbourne, Australia, 22 Apr 2018
- Local pastors: how understanding the background to the NT can transform our preaching (2018), Melbourne, Australia, 20 Apr 2018
- Public lecture: How the Gospel Gave us Modernity (2018), Melbourne, Australia, 19 Apr 2018
- Open Seminar, Design and Theology (2018), Brisbane, Australia, 16 Mar 2018
- Two open seminars on the relevance of Scripture (2018), Brisbane, Australia, 10 Feb 2018
- Public Forum: Why the 21st Century is the Most Christian Ever… (2018), ultra106.5fm, Hobart, Tasmania, 07 Feb 2018
- Introduce Masters candidates and current staff to importance of narrative thinking and design (2018), National radio interview, 05 Feb 2018
- Speak at Urban church (2018), Mosman Park, Western Australia, 04 Feb 2018
If you’d like to contact Rikk, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.