Dr Robyn Wrigley-CarrSenior Lecturer in Theology and Spirituality
Contact Robyn Wrigley-Carr
Robyn's love for theology and spirituality began when she was working in the Religious Books Department of Hodder & Stoughton Publishers in London. She subsequently went to Vancouver, Canada, to study her Masters in Spiritual Theology at Regent College. As part of her Regent degree, Robyn studied theology for a term at Oxford University, on a student exchange program. Robyn met her Kiwi husband at Regent, then they both returned to Sydney to live. Robyn worked as a lecturer in Spirituality for 8 years at the Australian College of Ministries (ACOM), and has lectured at MCSI (Macquarie University), Christian Heritage College, and tutored at the Broken Bay Institute. Robyn received an ORS scholarship and additional funding from the University of St Andrews to pursue her PhD full-time at the University of St Andrews, Scotland, and also tutored in Theology at the University. She has received ARTFinc Grants in both 2016 and 2018 and an ADM Summer Research Fellowship in 2018. Robyn started as a permanent faculty member at AC in 2015. She has three gorgeous children.
Grad Dip SD (Spiritual Direction) (Wellspring, University of Divinity, Melbourne) 2016
PhD (University of St Andrews, Scotland)
Dissertation Title The Baron, his niece and friends: Friedrich von Hügel as a Spiritual Director, 1915-1925 2013
MCS (Spiritual Theology) (Regent College, Vancouver, Canada)
Dissertation Title The Butterfly and the King: Self-knowledge in Teresa of Avila 1998
MA (Lang & Lit in Educ, awarded with Distinction) (University of London, England)
Dissertation Title Reading with 'Granpa': Text form in Children's Literature 1993
BEd (Hons 1, Univ. medal) (University of Sydney, Australia)
Dissertation Title Gender in Children's Literature: 'A Place Apart' 1988
ATCL (Trinity College. London) 1987
Soul care; Spiritual formation; Personhood; Spirituality & Ageing; Gender.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2019). The Spiritual Formation of Evelyn Underhill. London: SPCK, forthcoming.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (ed) (2018). Evelyn Underhill's Prayer Book. London: SPCK.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2019). "Liturgy and Spiritual Formation" In John Frederick, ed., Spiritual Formation in the Global Context (pp. ). Downers Grove: IVP Academic.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2019). "Ecumenical beauty: Evelyn Underhill's Prayer Book" In Stephen Burns & Robert Gribben, ed., The Future of Common Prayer (pp. ). Melbourne: Coventry Press.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2018). "Teresa of Avila: the Christian Mystic" In James Houston & Jens Zimmermann, Sources of the Christian Self (pp. 407-424). Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (co-authored with Matthew del Nevo) (2009). "Spirituality in a Feminine Key: On Feminine Spirituality" In Shane Clifton and Jacqui Grey, Raising Women Leaders: Perspectives on Liberating Women in Pentecostalism (pp. 254-273). Australasian Pentecostal Studies Supplementary Series.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (1998). "Symbolism and Mystical Truth in Teresa of Avila" In Pearson, K.N., Alive to the Love of God (pp. 347-362). Vancouver: Regent College Publishing.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2019). "'Supernatural' forgiveness: Evelyn Underhill in dialogue with Monique Lisbon". Theology Today, 75:4, 458-468.
- Wrigley-Carr Robyn (2018). "Proclaiming and cultivating 'childlikeness': a subversive thread in Christian anthropology". International Journal of Children's Spirituality, 23:1 1-8.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2018). "Darkness and Light in Evelyn Underhill". Journal of Spiritual Formation and Soul Care, https://doi.org/10.1177/1939790918812457.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2018). "'Suffering Well:' Insights for spiritual directors from Friedrich von Hugel and Abbe Huvelin". Journal for the Study of Spirituality, 8:2 135-146.
- Wrigley-Carr Robyn (2017). "Mysticism and the Atonement: Experiential Insights from Evelyn Underhill.". Pacifica, 29 (1) 99-111.
- Wrigley-Carr Robyn (2017). "Echoes of von Hugel in the Spiritual Direction of Evelyn Underhill". Studies in Spirituality, 28.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2016). "'Soul Care' for people with dementia: Insights from Friedrich von Hügel's 'three Elements of Religion'". Journal of Religion, Spirituality and Aging, 28: 155-166.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2013). "The Mystical Theologian: the influence of Abbe Huvelin on Baron Friedrich von Hügel". Downside Review, 131 184-195.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2013). "The Abbe and the Baron: Henri Huvelin's Spiritual Nurture of Friedrich von Hügel". Studies in Spirituality, 23 135-200.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2009). "The Butterfly and the King: Self-knowledge in Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle". Studies in Spirituality, 19 113-133.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2008). "Mature Spirituality according to von Hügel: a practioner's voice". Pacifica, 21/3 329-326.
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2016). "An Ecumenical Journey in Theological Education: A Personal Experience". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2015). 'Jesus, Leadership and "spiritual childlikeness'. , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2015). "Human Nature according to von Hugel: the significance of the bodily and sacramental". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2014). '"Recovering a sense of the place of the Church in spiritual formation: Friedrich von Hügel's soul care'. , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2010). "Incarnational Formation: the body in von Hügel's theology of spiritual formation". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2010). "Finding the Beauty in Suffering: Abbe Henri Huvelin and Baron Friedrich von Hügel.". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2010). "Spiritual Intensity and von Hügel's spiritual direction of Gwendolen Greene.". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2008). "Authentically Human: von Hügel's spiritual direction of Gwendolen Greene". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2008). "Feminine Spirituality and Self-knowledge in the work of Teresa of Avila". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2007). "Creative Prayer - New Channels of Response to the Father". , .
- Wrigley-Carr, Robyn (2007). "A Spiritual Toolkit - Disciplines for Twenty-First Century Faith". , .
ANZATS (since 2015)
Association of Practical Theology in Occeania (since 2014)
Society for the Study of Theology (since 2015)
- Andfew Mellor, Confession as an End to Isolation: Using Bonnoeffer to Reconstruct a Missing Ecclesial Practice (Masters Project/Thesis), 2016
If you’d like to contact Robyn, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.