Dr Stephen CodringtonDirector of School Governance and Leadership Development, and Senior Lecturer
Contact Stephen Codrington
Dr Stephen Codrington brings the wisdom, insights and practical experience of four decades’ work as an educator, author, board trustee, speaker, school leader and evaluator to his work as Director of School Governance and Leadership Development at Alphacrucis College.
Based at the College’s main campus in Parramatta (Sydney, Australia), Stephen teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses in areas such as Geography, Education, Epistemology, Religion, Research Methods, School Leadership and Effective Governance. He also conducts research, professional development and school reviews through the Centre for the Future of Schooling, a research centre within Alphacrucis College.
Stephen is internationally recognised as an outstanding educational leader, especially in the areas of Christian education, board governance and international education, as well as his academic areas of geography and philosophy. He was Head of five schools in four countries over a period of 25 years: St Paul’s Grammar School (Penrith, Australia; 1989-1997), Kristin School (Auckland, New Zealand; 1997-1999), Prince Alfred College (Adelaide, Australia; 2000-2004), Li Po Chun United World College (Hong Kong; 2004-2011) and The Awty International School (Houston, Texas, USA; 2011-2013). Unlike most Heads of School, Stephen chose to continue teaching in the classroom throughout his headships, specialising in Geography and Theory of Knowledge.
Stephen is the author or co-author of 59 books, including a widely used handbook on school board governance and an extensive range of Geography textbooks. His well-established textbook that was written to support the International Baccalaureate Diploma Geography course, Planet Geography, is used in 92 countries and was recently expanded to a set of ten books to suit the demands of a new syllabus. Much of the content of the books and most of the photos came from Stephen's extensive international field research which has so far taken him to 157 countries.
During his 25 years as a Head of School, Stephen worked with several organisations such as IB, UWC and CIS to conduct school evaluations and accreditations. Since 2015, Stephen has been using his extensive experience in school governance, leadership and accreditation to support school boards through the Optimal School Governance consultancy service. This work is continuing in close association with Alphacrucis College.
In addition to his work at Alphacrucis College, Stephen is Treasurer of the Geographical Society of NSW, where he also formerly served as President and was recently awarded the accolade of Honorary Life Membership. He is a Fellow of the Australian College of Education and the Royal Geographical Society, and previously served as President, Vice-President and Editor for the Geography Teachers Association of NSW. He is a former Chairman of HICES (Heads of Independent Co-educational Schools) and a former Vice-President of AECS (the Association of Executives of Christian Schools). He served as Deputy Chief Examiner for IB Geography for many years, setting and marking examinations, and helping to develop new courses. Stephen has been honoured with inclusion in Who’s Who in Australia every year since 2003.
Details of Stephen’s achievements as an educational leader can be seen on his LinkedIn profile here. He maintains a personal website with additional biographical and other information at www.stephencodrington.com.
PhD (Macquarie University) 1983
BA (Hons) (Macquarie University) 1977
BA Dip Ed (Macquarie University) 1975
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Extreme Environments. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Dynamic Planet: Geography for the Options of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Geography course. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Changing Planet: Geography for the Core of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Geography course. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Freshwater. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Oceans and Coasts. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Leisure, Sport and Tourism. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Connected Planet: Geography for the Higher Level Extension of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Geography course. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Food and Health. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Urban Environments. .
- Codrington, S (2017). Our Planet's Geophysical Hazards. .
- Codrington, S (2015). Optimal School Governance: A handbook for School Boards and Heads who value effective governance. .
- Codrington, S (2013). Planet Geography (7th ed.). .
- Codrington, S (2017). Geography: Understanding Global Complexity In Goodlet, K, Collier, J & George, T, Better Learning: Trajectories for educators in Christian Schools (pp. 330-342). .
- Codrington, S (2017). Governance and management - getting the relationship right In Wright, C, Establishing an International school (pp. 323-329). .
Geographical Society of New South Wales (since 1975)
If you’d like to contact Stephen, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.