Dr Stephen FysonSenior Lecturer, Education
Contact Stephen Fyson
Stephen is a social researcher by trade and a teacher at heart. As a Christian social scientist, he has combined these interests and passions in his work with young people for over 37 years. He has worked in welfare, health and education, and was involved in establishing Christian Psychology and Community Psychology within the Australian Psychological Society.
Stephen has been working in and developing Christian schools for 30 years. He was Principal of Southland College (a Christian Teacher Training Institute) and Director of Education for Morling College in Sydney (the Baptist Theological College for NSW and the ACT). He recently headed up a Christian special needs school (St Philip’s DALE Christian School). He is currently working as Special Projects Officer with the St Philip's Christian College group of schools, and Senior Lecturer of Education, Alphacrucis College.
Stephen has been published in books, journals and professional newsletters and has been invited to teach around Australia and overseas. Stephen has been married for 41 years, has three adult children and five grandchildren. He has qualifications in psychology, education and theology, and also enjoys music, fresh air and exercise, and working with people.
Dissertation Title Understanding and developing transformational community in order to prevent alienation: a longitudinal study of students involved in a school restructure 2004
BA Hons (UniNSW) 1997
DipCS (post grad) (Regent College, Vancouver) 1991
MHPEd (UniNSW) 1983
* Philosophy and practice of Christian Education
* Development of Christian Community (leadership and management)
* Intgration of Christian theology in social science theory and practice
* Development of Christian schools (against mission drift)
* Teaching Bible to teenagers
* Wellbeing in schools
* Ideologies in educational institutions
- Fyson, S. (2014). Serving God in the Classroom: A Handbook for Developing Christian Teaching Practice. Resolve Publishing (Second printing 2016).
- Turnbull, P., Fyson, S., & Eynaud, A. (2008). Christian Life Studies 2. Milton, QLD: John Wiley & Sons.
- Turnbull, P., Fyson, S., & Eynaud, A. (2007). Christian Life Studies 1. Milton, QLD: John Wiley & Sons.
- Stephen J Fyson (2019). Where Grace and Truth Almost Meet: Suggestions from an Initial Study on Orthodoxy and Moral Therapeutic Deism In Peter W Kilgour (Author), Beverly J Christian (Editor), Revealing Jesus in the Learning Environment: Experiences of Christian Educators (pp. 13-34). Avondale Academic Press.
- Fyson, S. (2017). Personality and Character In Goodlet, K., Collier, J., & George, T. (eds.), Better Learning: Trajectories for Educators in Christian Schools (pp. ). Barton, ACT: St Mark's National Theological Centre.
- Fyson, S. (2017). Justice and Mercy In Goodlet, K., Collier, J., & George, T. (eds.), Better Learning: Trajectories for Educators in Christian Schools (pp. ). Barton, ACT: St Mark's National Theological Centre.
- Fyson, S. (2014). School as Community: Teaching and Learning for Service in an Era of Educational Narcissim In Etherington, M. (ed.), Foundations of Christian Education: A Christian Vision (pp. 224-236). Wipf & Stock.
- Fyson, S. (2000). A case study in facilitating a developmentally sensitive K-12 school. In Athanasou (ed), Applying educational and developmental psychology. (pp. 54-57). .
- Fyson, S. (2018). Wellbeing: Technique or soul-searching?. The Christian Teachers Journal, 26 (3), 16-19.
- Fyson, S. (2017). The place of grace in gender confusion. The Christian Teachers Journal, 25 (4), 24-29.
- Fyson, S. (2016). Character, oh character, where are thou?. To Teach (Christian Education Journal for Avondale College), .
- Fyson, S. (2008). When testing becomes testing. The Christian Teachers Journal, 16 (4), 9-11.
- Fyson, S. (2008). Christian school counselling: Towards conceptualising a distinctive paradigm. TEACH Journal of Christian Education, 2 (1), 17-21. | External link
- Fyson, S. (2008). Using discourse analysis and psychological sense of community to understand school transitions. Journal of Community Psychology, 36 (4), 452-467.
- Fyson, S. (2007). Some unsung heroes. The Christian Teachers Journal, 16 (1), 29-30.
- Fyson, S. (2007). The 3rs of Christian schooling. The Christian Teachers Journal, 15 (2), 20-23.
- Fyson, S. (2005). The re-creation of a community setting: The second report of a community psychologist as a high school principal. The Community Psychologist, 38 (1), 7-10. | External link
- Fyson, S. (2005). The parable of the soils: A Christian school educator challenge. Christian School Education, 8 (2), 43-44. | External link
- Fyson, S. (2004). Teaching into the home relationship. The Christian Teachers Journal, 7 (1), 14-18.
- Fyson, S. (2004). What happens when a community psychologist becomes a school principal?. The Community Psychologist, 31 (1), 8-9.
- Fyson, S. (2003). Missions as a learning experience. The Christian Teachers Journal, 11 (3).
- Fyson, S. (2002). What do students really think about their teachers?. Prime Focus, 39 (October).
- Fyson, S. (2002). Connections and community: Do they matter?. Principal Matters, 52 (August), 225-227.
- Fyson, S. (2002). What parents want to know and what to do about it. Christian School Education, 6 (1), 17-19.
- Fyson, S. (1999). Developing and applying concepts about community: Reflections from the field. Journal of Community Psychology, 27 (3), 347-365.
Creative Production or Composition
- Fyson (2014). Christian Teacher Training Program - A Certificate 1 accredited training program developed for the Presbyterian Churches of Vanuatu. .
- Creativity is not an optional extra: Why the spirit and practice of creativity is essential for Christian teaching culture (2016), Spirituality, Culture and Well-Being, Excelsia College, 04 Oct 2016
- Fyson, S. J.(2020). Serving God in the Classroom: A handbook for developing Christian Teaching Practice. 3rd Reprinting.. .
- Fyson, S. J.(2020). Revealing Jesus in the Learning Environment for School Turnarounds In P Kilgour and B Christian, Revealing Jesus in the Learning Environment: Making a world of difference (pp. 65-84). Avondale Academic Press: Cooranbong NSW.
- Fyson, S. J.(2021). By Their Love, but WHY Their Love?. The Christian Teachers Journal, February 2020 pp. 12-16.
- Fyson, S. J.(2020). Middle Schooling: What is it About?. Christian Education Matters, Issue 2, Autumn 2020 pp. 16-17.
- Fyson, S. J.(2020). Augustine, COVID-19, and Teaching Practice. The Christian Teachers Journal, August 2020 24-27.
- Fyson, S. (2021). Biblical Theory And Research Paradigms. Crucis, . | External link
- Fyson, S., Sarah Crawford and Anne Ward (2018). “Hope and Help”.
Australian College of Education (since 2019)
Christian Association of Psychological Studies (since 2019)
- EDU101 Foundations in Christian Learning and Teaching
- EDU102 Foundations in Christian Learning and Teaching
- EDU225 Childhood and Adolescent Development
- EDU226 Childhood and Adolescent Development
- EDU322 The Self-Reflective Educator
- EDU343 Educational Psychology
- EDU344 Educational Psychology
- EDU401 Foundations in Christian Learning and Teaching
- EDU522 The Self-Reflective Educator
If you’d like to contact Stephen, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.