Dr Stephen FysonSenior Lecturer, Education
Contact Stephen Fyson
Stephen is a social researcher by trade and a teacher at heart. As a Christian social scientist, he has combined these interests and passions in his work with young people for over 37 years. He has worked in welfare, health and education, and was involved in establishing Christian Psychology and Community Psychology within the Australian Psychological Society.
Stephen has been working in and developing Christian schools for 30 years. He was Principal of Southland College (a Christian Teacher Training Institute) and Director of Education for Morling College in Sydney (the Baptist Theological College for NSW and the ACT). He recently headed up a Christian special needs school (St Philip’s DALE Christian School). He is currently working as Special Projects Officer with the St Philip's Christian College group of schools, and Senior Lecturer of Education, Alphacrucis College.
Stephen has been published in books, journals and professional newsletters and has been invited to teach around Australia and overseas. Stephen has been married for 41 years, has three adult children and five grandchildren. He has qualifications in psychology, education and theology, and also enjoys music, fresh air and exercise, and working with people.
Dissertation Title Understanding and developing transformational community in order to prevent alienation: a longitudinal study of students involved in a school restructure 2004
BA Hons (UniNSW) 1997
DipCS (post grad) (Regent College, Vancouver) 1991
MHPEd (UniNSW) 1983
* Philosophy and practice of Christian Education
* Development of Christian Community (leadership and management)
* Intgration of Christian theology in social science theory and practice
* Development of Christian schools (against mission drift)
* Teaching Bible to teenagers
* Wellbeing in schools
* Ideologies in educational institutions
Field of Research
- 1301 Education Systems
- 1302 Curriculum and Pedagogy
- 1303 Specialist Studies in Education
- 1399 Other Education
- Fyson, S. (2014). Serving God in the Classroom: A Handbook for Developing Christian Teaching Practice. Resolve Publishing (Second printing 2016).
- Turnbull, P., Fyson, S., & Eynaud, A. (2008). Christian Life Studies 2. Milton, QLD: John Wiley & Sons.
- Turnbull, P., Fyson, S., & Eynaud, A. (2007). Christian Life Studies 1. Milton, QLD: John Wiley & Sons.
- Stephen J Fyson (2019). Where Grace and Truth Almost Meet: Suggestions from an Initial Study on Orthodoxy and Moral Therapeutic Deism In Peter W Kilgour (Author), Beverly J Christian (Editor), Revealing Jesus in the Learning Environment: Experiences of Christian Educators (pp. 13-34). Avondale Academic Press.
- Fyson, S. (2017). Justice and Mercy In Goodlet, K., Collier, J., & George, T. (eds.), Better Learning: Trajectories for Educators in Christian Schools (pp. ). Barton, ACT: St Mark's National Theological Centre.
- Fyson, S. (2017). Personality and Character In Goodlet, K., Collier, J., & George, T. (eds.), Better Learning: Trajectories for Educators in Christian Schools (pp. ). Barton, ACT: St Mark's National Theological Centre.
- Fyson, S. (2014). School as Community: Teaching and Learning for Service in an Era of Educational Narcissim In Etherington, M. (ed.), Foundations of Christian Education: A Christian Vision (pp. 224-236). Wipf & Stock.
- Fyson, S. (2000). A case study in facilitating a developmentally sensitive K-12 school. In Athanasou (ed), Applying educational and developmental psychology. (pp. 54-57). .
- Fyson, SJ (2020). By Their Love, but WHY Their Love?. The Christian Teachers Journal, February 2020 pp. 12-16.
- Fyson, SJ (2020). Middle Schooling: What is it About?. Christian Education Matters, Issue 2, Autumn 2020 pp. 16-17.
- Fyson, S. (2018). Wellbeing: Technique or soul-searching?. The Christian Teachers Journal, 26 (3), 16-19.
- Fyson, S. (2017). The place of grace in gender confusion. The Christian Teachers Journal, 25 (4), 24-29.
- Fyson, S. (2016). Character, oh character, where are thou?. To Teach (Christian Education Journal for Avondale College), .
- Fyson, S. (2008). Using discourse analysis and psychological sense of community to understand school transitions. Journal of Community Psychology, 36 (4), 452-467.
- Fyson, S. (2008). Christian school counselling: Towards conceptualising a distinctive paradigm. TEACH Journal of Christian Education, 2 (1), 17-21. | Link to journal
- Fyson, S. (2008). When testing becomes testing. The Christian Teachers Journal, 16 (4), 9-11.
- Fyson, S. (2007). The 3rs of Christian schooling. The Christian Teachers Journal, 15 (2), 20-23.
- Fyson, S. (2007). Some unsung heroes. The Christian Teachers Journal, 16 (1), 29-30.
- Fyson, S. (2005). The parable of the soils: A Christian school educator challenge. Christian School Education, 8 (2), 43-44. | Link to journal
- Fyson, S. (2005). The re-creation of a community setting: The second report of a community psychologist as a high school principal. The Community Psychologist, 38 (1), 7-10. | Link to journal
- Fyson, S. (2004). What happens when a community psychologist becomes a school principal?. The Community Psychologist, 31 (1), 8-9.
- Fyson, S. (2004). Teaching into the home relationship. The Christian Teachers Journal, 7 (1), 14-18.
- Fyson, S. (2003). Missions as a learning experience. The Christian Teachers Journal, 11 (3).
- Fyson, S. (2002). What parents want to know and what to do about it. Christian School Education, 6 (1), 17-19.
- Fyson, S. (2002). Connections and community: Do they matter?. Principal Matters, 52 (August), 225-227.
- Fyson, S. (2002). What do students really think about their teachers?. Prime Focus, 39 (October).
- Fyson, S. (1999). Developing and applying concepts about community: Reflections from the field. Journal of Community Psychology, 27 (3), 347-365.
Creative Production or Composition
- Fyson (2014). Christian Teacher Training Program - A Certificate 1 accredited training program developed for the Presbyterian Churches of Vanuatu. .
- Creativity is not an optional extra: Why the spirit and practice of creativity is essential for Christian teaching culture (2016), Spirituality, Culture and Well-Being, Excelsia College, 04 Oct 2016
- Fyson, S. (2021). Biblical Theory And Research Paradigms. Crucis, . | Link to journal
- Fyson, S., Sarah Crawford and Anne Ward (2018). “Hope and Help”.
Australian College of Education (since 2019)
Christian Association of Psychological Studies (since 2019)
- Wilkes, J., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Wills, E., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Dragan, K., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Garro, S., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Lee, R., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Spencer, M., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
If you’d like to contact Stephen, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.