Dr U-Wen LowSenior Lecturer in Biblical Studies, Program Director - Master of Theology
Contact U-Wen Low
U-Wen began theological studies at the University of Divinity in 2007, progressing through to an Honours year in 2013 and subsequently beginning his PhD in 2014, completing it in 2017 and graduating in 2018. He has previously worked as a youth pastor at Melbourne's CityLife Church. He is passionate about seeing students develop and grow in their faith and wisdom through studying the Bible and theology. He is married to Danielle, and enjoys a variety of hobbies including woodturning, cycling, bagpipe playing and reading.
PhD (University of Divinity (Whitley College))
Dissertation Title Revelation as Drama: Reading and Interpreting Revelation through the lens of Greco-Roman Performance 2017
BA / BTh (Hons) (University of Melbourne / University of Divinity)
Dissertation Title Framing Revelation as Drama 2012
B. Th. (Whitley College) 2011
New Testament; Book of Revelation; Postcolonialism; Visual Exegesis; Performance Criticism; Pentecostal Theology; Greco-Roman History; Archaeology
Field of Research
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- U-Wen Low (2021). Bordered churches, borderless Spirit In Jione Havea, Bordered Bodies, Bothered Voices (forthcoming) (pp. ). Wipf and Stock.
- U-Wen Low (2021). Cosmology as agnostic self-actualisation in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld In A.M. Freeman, A.D. Thrasher, F. Toso, Theology, Fantasy, and the Imagination (forthcoming) (pp. ). .
- U-Wen Low (2020). An Apocalypse That Welcomes Others? Reading Revelation Peacefully In Anthony Rees, Things that Make for Peace: Traversing Text and Tradition (pp. ). Lexington Books.
- U-Wen Low (2020). 'Out of the great ordeal': Reading Revelation in a global pandemic. Stimulus: The New Zealand Journal of Christian Thought and Practice, Volume 27, No 1.
- U-Wen Low (2020). Towards a Pentecostal, Postcolonial Reading of the New Testament. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, Volume 29, No 3.
- U-Wen Low (2019). Then I Saw: The Influence of Albrecht Durer’s Apocalypse as Paratext. Religion and the Arts, Volume 23, Issue 4 341-359.
- U-Wen Low (2019). Praecones and the Trumpet-Bearing Angels of Revelation. Colloquium, Volume 51, No 2 77-91.
- U-Wen Low (2018). A Millennial Talks Back: Practical Theology as a potential strategy for engaging Australian Millennials in churches?. Journal of Contemporary Ministry, No. 4.
- U-Wen Low (2014). ‘What have the Romans ever done for us?’ Postcolonialism, mimicry and hidden transcripts in the book of Revelation. Pacifica, Volume 27, Issue 3 253-270.
Creative Production or Composition
- U-Wen Low (2018). But what about when I don’t hear God’s call?. .
- Conquering the beast: a performance-critical approach to the Book of Revelation (2019), ANZATS 2019, Auckland, New Zealand, 02 Jul 2019
- "Towards a Postcolonial, Pentecostal Reading of the New Testament", (2018), Society of Biblical Literature, Denver, USA, 17 Nov 2018
- "'I looked, and I heard' : Ancient Performance, Performance Criticism , and the Book of Revelation" (2018), Fellowship of Biblical Studies, North Sydney, Australia, 26 Sep 2018
"Justice and Violence in the Book of Revelation" (2018), Alphacrucis Research Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 06 Sep 2018
Co-presenter: Newton, J.K.,
- Towards a Postcolonial, Pentecostal Reading of the New Testament (2018), Society for Asian Biblical Studies, Malang, Indonesia, 17 Jul 2018
- Reading Revelation Peacefully (2018), Interfaith Peace Conference, Parramatta, Australia, 07 Mar 2018
- Then I Saw: Exploring Albrecht Dürer’s Apocalypse and its Influence (2017), International SBL, Berlin, Germany, 10 Aug 2017
- Come out of her, my people! Revelation and the refugee crisis (2017), International SBL, Berlin, Germany, 09 Aug 2017
- Engaging the Next Generation: The Importance of Practical Theology for Engaging Millennials (2016), Harvest Research Conference, Scoresby, Australia, 25 Aug 2016
- The Herald Angels of Revelation 8 (2016), International SBL, Seoul, South Korea, 06 Jul 2016
- Radio Discussion of "Reading Revelation in a Global Pandemic" (2020), Adelaide, Australia, 17 May 2020
- Low, U. (2021). “Worship and the Megachurch” Conference Report. | External link
ANZATS (since 2016)
Fellowship of Biblical Studies (since 2014)
Society for Asian Biblical Studies (since 2016)
Society of Biblical Literature (since 2014)
- BIB103 Introduction to the New Testament
- BIB355 The Book of Revelation
- BIB403 Introduction to the New Testament
- BIB565 The Book of Revelation
- BIB601 Methods in Biblical Studies
- BIB602 Seminar Presentation of Research in Biblical Studies
- RES101 Introduction to Academic Writing and Research
- RES401 Postgraduate Research and Writing
- RES500 Independent Guided Research
- RES602 Research Project
- THE315 Theology and Popular Culture
- THE510 Theology and Popular Culture
- Gurung, B., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Kim, K.J., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Lynar, V., Biblical view of the challenges and strengths of displaced people (Doctoral Thesis)
- Milo, N., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Naidoo, J., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Rizzo, D., Pentecostal animal theology (Doctoral Thesis)
- Thompson, S., The future of eco-theology and praxis in the Australasian Pentecostal Context (Masters Project/Thesis), 2019
- Kim, P., Rev. 22:1-5’s New Heaven and Earth as eschatological fulfilment (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Tuovinen, T., How can a Pentecostal reading of Luke 4:18-19 inform our approach to Spirit Christology? (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
If you’d like to contact U-Wen, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.