Scholarship for Tuition Policy
This policy outlines the criteria and procedures regarding Alphacrucis College (AC) tuition scholarships.
As part of its mission, AC offers tuition scholarships to selected students. AC does not offer scholarships to cover living or other expenses.
AC offers two broad categories of scholarships: coursework scholarships and Higher Degree Research (HDR) scholarships.
The number of coursework scholarships offered will be at the discretion of the Executive Committee. Scholarships will cover all or part of a student’s tuition only, and will be renewable for the period of the relevant course of study, provided that the student continues to meet the criteria.
Criteria for awarding scholarships includes but is not necessarily limited to consideration of:
- church affiliation and missional commitment of the applicant;
- strategic considerations for the College, such as developing networks or developing particular research areas;
- academic strength of the applicant;
- demonstrated leadership and/or community service;
- course of study preference;
- alignment of candidate's research with the college's strategic directions;
- capacity of the applicant to finance their own study. This may include consideration of their country of origin, SES, and demonstration of meeting specific visa requirements.
For coursework scholarships
A recommendation for tuition scholarship for coursework students is tabled to Executive Committee by the Director of Student Services and will be awarded at the discretion of the Executive Committee, based on availability of funds as allocated in the College’s annual budget process.
For HDR scholarships
Scholarships for HDR students will be awarded at the discretion of the HDR Program Director, in consultation with the Director of Research, based on availability of funds as allocated in the College’s annual budget process.
AC will not award more than one concurrent scholarship to an individual student.
Continuation of Scholarships
Awarded scholarships are reviewed annually by Executive Committee and relevant HDR Program Director respectively, and, to continue to receive a scholarship, the recipient must meet a number of criteria which may include:
- maintenance of church affiliation and missional commitment;
- evidence of satisfactory academic progress (for coursework scholarships this would be in the form of an annual progress report produced by the relevant Program Director);
- maintenance of full-time enrolment status. Exceptional circumstances such as disability, serious medical condition, significant carer responsibilities and the unique circumstances of Indigenous Australian students in determining inability to study full time will be considered;
- consent to have his/her name and scholarship details released for promotional and event purposes.
A student who undertakes a component of his/her AC course of study overseas through an approved cross-institutional arrangement will continue to receive the scholarship up to the equivalent AC tuition fees.
Termination of a Scholarship:
AC reserves the right to terminate a scholarship for the following reasons:
- changes to the course of study status;
- where the awardee commits serious misconduct including, but not limited to, the provision of false or misleading information in their application for an AC scholarship;
- the awardee ceases to meet the ongoing eligibility requirements;
- once the full value of the scholarship has been paid; or
- the awardee does not resume study at the conclusion of an approved deferral period.
Appeals relating to the termination of a scholarship should follow the AC appeals process.
Responsible for implementation
Director of Student Services
All staff and scholarship students
Scholarship for Tuition Policy Procedure
1. Application for scholarship
A candidate applying for a coursework scholarship must complete the online AC Student Scholarship Application Form.
2. Acknowledgement of receipt
It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the College if s/he has not received an email confirmation of receipt within 10 working days of submitting the application.
3. Assessment of scholarship application
For coursework scholarships:
The Director of Student Services will table applications to Executive Committee, including recommendations, twice per year, prior to the commencement of each semester, having ascertained that the applicant meets the academic entry requirements for the course of study. The amount or number of scholarships available in any year will be determined during the annual budget process.
Upon receipt of the Executive Committee's decision, the Director of Student Services will notify both successful and unsuccessful applicants of the decision prior to census date of the relevant semester. The Director of Students Services is responsible for informing all stakeholders of approved scholarships and maintaining records of current scholarships.
For HDR scholarships:
HDR scholarships will be considered by the relevant HDR Program Director on an ongoing basis, within parameters of budget allowances.
The scholarship awardee will then enter into the normal enrolment process.
The tuition scholarship is conditional on the awardee taking up the offer of a place at AC that year, unless approval to defer has been granted. Awardees may apply to have the scholarship deferred for up to one year only, after which time the offer is withdrawn.
The awardee, at the time of accepting the scholarship offer, must accept the conditions of the scholarship and agree to provide any information relevant to assessing his/her ongoing eligibility for the scholarship. If the scholarship is renewable, renewal will be automatic contingent upon all conditions of the scholarship being met.
Any substantial changes to enrolment (e.g. interruption or withdrawal, change of study load, program change etc.) must be notified to the Director of Student Services prior to making any such changes.
The awarding of an AC scholarship is entirely at the discretion of the Executive Committee or HDR Program Director and no appeal regarding non-award of scholarships will be entered into.