Details for Old Testament Hebrew I
Have you ever wanted to read the bible in its original language? Have you ever wondered about the context, culture and worldview of the Old Testament and how its language contributes to this? Have you wanted to see how a great story telling language works? The study of Old Testament (OT) Hebrew will provide you with these insights. OT Hebrew 1 presents you with the foundational tools, vocabulary and grammar to not only understand OT Hebrew, but also enable you to translate simple OT Hebrew texts into English. Further, by having these tools, you will gain foundational knowledge of the richness, light and shade, and wonder of the story-telling nature of the Hebrew language (which can be hidden in our English translations).
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: ANL401
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Caroline Batchelder
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Old Testament Hebrew I
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
This course unit provides the essential elements needed to understand and read Biblical Hebrew.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of biblical Hebrew, including sentence structure, binyanim, and basic aspects of syntax
- Explain basic issues in interpreting the Hebrew Bible;
- Demonstrate use translation tools, such as dictionaries and concordances;
- Exegete simple portions of the OT;
- Translate simple Old Testament Hebrew texts into English.
- Hebrew aleph-bet; dagesh and begad-kepat letters; vowels and matres lectionis
- Masoretes and the MT
- Nouns and adjectives
- Case, number and gender
- The triliterality of Hebrew words; definite article
- Verbal patterns and aspect
- Object suffixes; independent personal pronouns and particles
- Construct chains
- wqtl and ‘past-tense’ narration
- Principles in translatio
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (on site)
- Distance/E-learning (online)
- Quizzes (Cumalative) (30%)
- Translation Assessment (30%)
- Final Exam (40%)
- Pratico, G. D., & Van Pelt, M. V. (2019) Basics of biblical Hebrew: Grammar. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- Pratico, G. D., & Van Pelt, M. V. (2019) Basics of biblical Hebrew: Workbook. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Check with your instructor before purchasing any textbooks