Details for The Pentateuch
At the beginning of the bible, we find the Pentateuch. From Genesis to Deuteronomy, these books are essential for understanding our faith today. For ancient Israel it described their origins, creation stories, ancestors, exodus from Egypt, covenant with Yahweh, the journey to the Promised Land and their worship of Yahweh. Similarly for us as Christians, our salvation-story is framed by the people, images and stories found in the Pentateuch. Together in this unit we will explore these foundational themes of creation, faith, salvation, covenant, worship, land and journeying present in the Pentateuch. We will particularly discover the wonder of the Pentateuch’s literary structure and techniques as well as the world it constructs. It will also survey how the Pentateuch sets the stage for what follows in the rest of the biblical canon.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB520
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Caroline Batchelder
The following courses are prerequisites or co-requisites:
Awards offering The Pentateuch
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Demonstrate a synthesised knowledge of the texts of the Pentateuch and a ritical understanding of the world of the Pentateuch. This will include its composition, themes, content, message, characters and ideology;
- Examine and assess both the primary biblical materials and secondary literature from a range of perspectives;
- Explain the narrative and legal techniques used in the Pentateuch;
- Evaluate the role of the Pentateuch within the context of the contemporary church.
- Introduction to the Pentateuch and its Theology
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- Distance/E-learning (online)
- Intensive (One week: 7 hours per day for 5 days = 35 class hours + approx 85 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks)
- Thematic Essay (25%)
- Exegetical Essay (50%)
- Exam (25%)
- Gordon Wenham, Exploring the Old Testament, Volume 1: The Pentateuch. SPCK: Great Britain, 2003.
Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks
- Primary readings provided