Details for Old Testament Field Study
This unit provides students with a first-hand introduction to the relevant cultural, geographical, historical, and archaeological issues for the Old Testament. This unit features an on-site field study program, formative for the biblical text.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB592
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Caroline Batchelder
The following courses are prerequisites or co-requisites:
Awards offering Old Testament Field Study
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Describe the physical and historical geography of Old Testament locations;
- Explain the key elements of the religion and politics of the area, especially as it relates to Judaism, Islam and the variety of Christian traditions, so that they may appreciate the value of interfaith dialogue;
- Evaluate the significance of the geography and history of key locations recorded in the Old Testament Scriptures, with particular attention to how the geography of the land influenced the events;
- Analyse the significance of ‘land’ for biblical Israel, modern Israel and the Palestinian Territories, and modern Christians;
- Analyse and synthesise their field study experience with their biblical studies, a Christian world view, and their vocational interests.
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- Distance/E-learning (online)
- Intensive (One week: 7 hours per day for 5 days = 35 class hours + approx 85 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks)
- Requires a Field Study component of at least 10 days (75 hours), which includes orientation and preparation meetings. This is in addition to the approx 50 hours out of class time for reading, research, writing, and ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks.
- Minor Essay (10%)
- Presentation (30%)
- Reflective Journal (20%)
- Field Study Report (40%)
- Primary readings provided