Details for The Self-Reflective Educator
This subject has the pre-service teachers consider their own personalities in the light of potential leadership positions that they are likely to encounter later in their careers. It also aims to equip them to handle stress and possible conflict situations with better outcomes for all involved.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: EDU522
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Jim Twelves
The following courses are prerequisites:
- EDU401—Foundations in Christian Learning and Teaching or 40 credit points
Awards offering The Self-Reflective Educator
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
This subject has the pre-service teachers consider their own personalities in the light of potential leadership positions that they are likely to encounter later in their careers. It also aims to equip them to handle stress and possible conflict situations with better outcomes for all involved. The students will also be encouraged to enlarge the spiritual side of their life and in so doing equip them to further develop their own philosophy of education, in order to provide a firm foundation for a long successful career in serving future generations of children.
- Critically evaluate and reflect on one’s own personality profile and how it affects one’s approach to teaching;
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of personality profiles and leadership theory in the spiritual formation of an educator;
- Critically analyse the leadership types within communities, such as churches, community organisations and schools;
- Analyse in detail catalysts for increased stress and conflict in life and work;
- Integrate a sustainable model of Christian education within a personal, dynamic philosophy of education.
- Personality profiles: Jung; Myers-Biggs; Marston’s DISC; emotional intelligence; personality disorders; managing stress; conflict resolution; ethical conduct and integrity.
- Leadership Types: Australian Professional Standards for Teachers’ professional learning needs; management v. leadership; team, servant leadership; charismatic; democratic; task-oriented; change management; mentoring; how leaders learn.
- Spiritual formation: Renovations of the Heart (Willard, 2002); Critical Journey (Hagberg & Guelich, 2005); stages of life – recognition of God, life of discipleship, productive life, journey inward, journey outward, life of love; the wall.
- Heart of the teacher; research project; converting to calling to service; Courage to Teach (Palmer, 2007); thinking Christianly; running the marathon.
- Toward a Sustainable Model of Christian Education: public schools; private schools; closed Christian schooling; sold-out-to-culture Christian schools; responsibility model; education for shalom; equipping for ministry of reconciliation.
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Distance/ Global Online
- Personal Journal (10%)
- Minor Essay (35%)
- Major Essay (60%)
- References will include the most current curriculum requirements for schools.
Check with the instructor each semester before purchasing any prescribed texts or representative references