Details for Professional Practice in Ministry
Itching to connect the realm of the classroom with some real-life experience? Professional Practice is designed with just this aim in mind. Students will have the have the chance to engage academically with issues pertaining to their Major Specialisation plus experience a hands-on placement.
Working with an experienced supervisory mentor, students will complete a 100 hour placement over the course of semester(or 2 50 hour placements over 2 semesters), with a variety of formats to choose from. For instance, do you have a heart for pastoral ministry? You could complete 8 hours a week at your local church, working with a department pastor. Or perhaps you have visions of becoming the next CEO of World Vision? A block placement at a Christian organisation, working with a field specialist, could be the kick start you need. Alternatively, have you been wanting to make a difference while experiencing cross cultural ministry overseas? Your 100 hours could be served with an overseas mentor in a concentrated three or so weeks of professional practice. The sky is the limit!
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: EXP002
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Justin Low
Awards offering Professional Practice in Ministry
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
Students should be able to:
- Develop a workplace plan for the professional practice in ministry
- Apply workplace competencies to real-life contexts and ministry situations
- Evaluate the development of professional skills in ministry acquired
- Evaluate the realities of working in a real-life ministry context.
- Introduction to ministry placement
- Establishing ground rules
- Personal administration
- Discipling and mentoring
- Ministry skills and experiences
- Conflict resolution
- Communication skills in ministry
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to face on site
- E-learning (online)
- Extensive: 15 hours of class spread over the semester + 105 hours out of class time for writing and completion of assigned tasks. Students are expected to complete 100 hours of actual work placement for this subject within this allocated workload.
Access to a workplace context with resources relevant to the ministry placement
- Workplace Plan (600 words) - 20%
- Professional Portfolio (1500 words) - 50%
- Presentation (10 min / 500 words) - 30%