Details for Organisational Leadership
This subject explores the concept of organisational leadership from its beginnings to the current day approach and behaviour of organisations in the Australian context. The subject covers a number of operational and organisational dimensions including the history and evolution of organisational leadership. We then cover the constructs of leadership, teams, change, conflict, communication, culture, strategy and politics all within the working organisation environment. We will blend theory and commercial application to provide a rounded coverage of the course.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA535
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Mulyadi Robin
The following courses are prerequisites:
- LEA401—Introduction to Leadership or 40 credit points
Awards offering Organisational Leadership
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Describe the process whereby organisations form and evolve over time.
- Critically analyse the importance of organisational structures, which are possible, to empower and provide opportunities for leadership development.
- Identify and distinguish the levels of complexity existing within organisations and their implications in staff selection and development.
- Create an effective ‘real team’ of leaders.
- Illustrate an advanced abilityto create and modify the beliefs (values), which give rise to an organisations culture.
- Explain the processes involved in leading through change and the obstacles normally encountered within an organisation.
- Stratified systems theory
- Situational leadership theory
- Emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Leadership development strategies
- Mentoring skills
- Integration: Approaches problem solving and decision making in the workplace
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- E-learning (online)
- Forum Posts (10%)
- Minor Essay 1 (20%)
- Minor Essay 2 (20%)
- Major Essay (50%)
- MacDonald, I., Burke, C., Stewart, K. Systems Leadership: Creating Positive Organisations. Gower Publishing Ltd, 2008.
- Jagelman, I., The ‘L’ Factor. The Jagelman Institute, (2nd Edition) 2013.
Check with the instructor each semester before purchasing any textbooks