Details for Theology of Social Justice
This unit provides a biblical theology of holistic mission that takes seriously the responsibility of the Church to address issues of justice and poverty. It argues that the good news of the Kingdom of God has vital implications for social institutions and cultural values, and explores various ways in which the church can respond.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: THE521
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Jacqueline Service
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Theology of Social Justice
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Analyse different conceptions of the mission of the church and its significance for social justice.
- Assess alternate ways in which religious communities have engaged with the economic, political and cultural structures that generate and sustain poverty, injustice and environmental issues.
- Identify the local and global environmental and social challenges and analyse the types of response the church has and could make to them.
- Show the ways in which issues of gender, culture and religion frame the experience of poverty and inform aid and relief projects.
- Social Justice, Scripture and the Early Church
- Social Justice as Worship – The Church, Mission, and the Holy Spirit
- Contemporary History of Christian Social Engagement
- Dynamics of Power and Liberation Theology
- Palestinian Liberation Theology
- Personhood and Poverty
- Human Well-Being and the Triune God
- Charity, Aid, Development and Beyond Development
- Gender Justice
- Indigenous Justice, Race and Reconciliation
- Globalisation, Economic Injustice and Human Trafficking
- Justice for the Earth – Environment/Climate Change/Christian Stewardship
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- Intensive (One week: 7 hours per day for 5 days = 35 class hours + approx 85 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks)
THE520 - Theology of Social Justice is the equivalent online subject for Semester 1, 2019 only.
- Essay (40%)
- Forum Discussions (20%)
- Creative project (40%)
- Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks