Details for Introduction to Israel’s Scriptures
The foundational documents of the Christian Faith are found in the Old Testament. It is the first instance of God’s self-revelation to humanity, it points forward to Jesus, and it provides glimpses of the Holy Spirit at work. The themes, theology, wisdom, history, and narrative form the basis for anything the New Testament has to teach us. This Subject will equip you to uncover the significance and relevance of the Old Testament to being a disciple of Jesus.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB007
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: John Griffiths
Awards offering Introduction to Israel’s Scriptures
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Describe the overall content, storyline and significance of Israel’s Scriptures (Old Testament);
- Identify how Israel’s Scriptures came into existence and their canonical structure;
- Define the overall historical, cultural and social context of Israel’s Scriptures;
- Explore the contents of Israel’s Scriptures;
- Identify key themes, structure and developments of a book of Israel’s Scriptures;
- Discuss principles and insights derived from study of Israel’s Scriptures for contemporary life and ministry.
- Torah: Genesis and Exodus
- Torah: Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
- Former Prophets
- Latter Prophets
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to face (on site)
- E-learning (online)
- Intensive (One week: 7 hours per day for 5 days = 35 class hours + approx 85 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks).
- Tests (30%)
- Diagramattic Summary of a Biblical Book (30%)
- Personal Reflections (40%)
- Hubbard, R., & Dearman, J. (2018) Introducing the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks.