Details for Introduction to Leadership
Why do we need leaders? What do they do? Are they born or made? This unit will help students to find answers to these questions in the light of contemporary leadership theory and a Christian worldview. We will explore theory on leadership skills, traits and behaviours and consider the important question of what makes a leader great or...what would make you a great leader.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA401
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Duane Van Vuuren
Awards offering Introduction to Leadership
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Master of Arts
- Master of Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Leadership - Transforming Leadership
- Graduate Diploma in Arts
- Graduate Diploma of Leadership
- Critically analyse the importance of past and present trends in leadership training.
- Describe the distinction between leadership roles and technical or ministry tasks.
- Explain the historical development of leadership theories in the not-for-profit sector (including churches).
- Demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge of understanding and performance as a leader.
- Discuss how intrapersonal reflection can contribute to greater long-term effectiveness – including an understanding as to how leaders learn.
- History of Leadership Theory
- History of Christian Leadership Theory
- Reflections on Leadership
- Power, Influence, and Motivation
- Charismatic, Transactional, and Transformational Leadership
- Servant Leadership
- Leading Self
- Leading Others
- Ministry and Leadership
- Relationship Matters
- The Dark Side of Leadership
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- E-Learning (online)
- Leadership Journal (10%)
- Annotated Bibliography (15%)
- Minor Essay (25%)
- Major Essay (50%)
- Yukl, G., & Gardner, W. (2019). Leadership in Organizations (9th ed.). United Kingdom: Pearson.
Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks.