Diploma of Business and Diploma of Ministry
The Diploma of Business and Diploma of Ministry combines practical business and management skills with relevant and Biblical training for today's radically evolving ministry landscape. Complete this double diploma in 1.5 years (full-time), instead of 2 years.
The combined Diploma of Business and Diploma of Ministry is designed to prepare you for a range of ministry contexts that require a combination of business and management know-how - in churches, not-for-profits organisations, to entrepreneurial mission work.
Be prepared for ministry in today's world, with a thorough foundation in theology and biblical studies, as well as foundational business training in areas such as business communications, marketing, accounting and project management.
This course of study draws on AC’s established expertise in the area of ministry and business. This Double Diploma also provides a solid foundation for students who may wish to progress onto an undergraduate course in Business, Entrepreneurship, Ministry or Theology. Candidates with individual diploma awards from AC can also qualify for credit/subject exemptions to receive this double diploma.
This double diploma arrangement is based on the three semesters (each of 13 weeks duration), with four subjects taught in each semester. It comprises:
- 8 Core Subjects (80 credit points)
- 4 Elective Subjects (40 credit points)
To qualify for award of the degree of Diploma of Business and Diploma of Ministry a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 120 credit points.
Core / 8 Subjects (80 credit points)
- ACA001 Faith and Purpose
- COM001 Business Communication
- MAN001 Introduction to Management
- MKT001 Foundations of Marketing
- MIN012 Character Formation and Ministry
- MIN001 Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
- EXP001 Professional Practice OR EXP007 Professional Practice in Business
- BIB009 Old Testament Foundations OR BIB010 New Testament Foundations
Applicants with Recent Secondary Education (within the past 2 years)
Applicants with recent high school education only will demonstrate completion of the NSW Higher School Certificate, or the completion of the interstate or overseas equivalent qualification.
Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) Study
Applicants with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification will demonstrate the completion of a Certificate III or higher qualification awarded by an authorised institution or registered training organisation (RTO).
The Program Director will conduct a pre-admission interview (either face-to-face or phone or via Zoom) with all applicants seeking entry into the course on the basis of a Certificate III qualification. This interview aims to assess academic suitability and preparedness of the applicant for undergraduate level study.
Applicants with Higher Education Study
Applicants whose highest level of study enrolment since leaving secondary education is a higher education qualification will demonstrate the completion of an AQF Level 5 Diploma (or higher) by an authorised institution for admission into this course.
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who have not completed formal higher education study are eligible for direct entry into this course.
If English is not the applicant’s first language or if their first degree was awarded in a non English speaking nation, they will be required to show proficiency in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (or equivalent) with an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of at least 5.5, with a score of not less than 5.0 in any of the four skill areas, or equivalent.
Delivery Mode*: Face-to-Face (Campus class), Online Live (Zoom class), Online Recorded
Locations**: Sydney and Online
Duration: 1.5 years (three semesters) full-time, or up to five years part-time.
Intakes: Semester 1, Semester 2
* Our study modes are flexible so you can mix-and-match different modes throughout your course to fit your needs. For example, a face-to-face student can choose to attend some classes online or an online student may choose to take some subjects face-to-face.
** Some subjects may only be available in certain study modes each semester. Please check the timetable for the most up-to-date information. Face-to-face classes can be delivered weekly or via intensives, where the subject is delivered in a block over consecutive weekdays and/or weekends. Some subjects must be completed face-to-face to meet professional accreditation requirements.
Course Learning Outcomes
- general understanding of key issues, recent scholarship and practices within the discipline areas of business and ministry, consistent with a Christian worldview;
- depth of understanding of practical fieldwork;
- technical and theoretical understanding of basic research principles and methods, and knowledge of research approaches used in the discipline areas of business and ministry.
Demonstrated ability to:
- identify, analyse and synthesise theoretical knowledge in the discipline areas of business and ministry;
- examine a complex problem or presenting issues using appropriate business and ministry methodologies and theories;
- communicate technical and creative skills to express ministry ideas and perspectives;
- communicate effectively to transfer knowledge and specialised chaplaincy skills to peers, clients, and general audiences in diverse contexts;
- transfer knowledge and specialised ministry skills to peers and general audiences in diverse contexts;
- apply theoretical and technical knowledge and skills acquired within the specialist area of business and management in a range of professional contexts to develop appropriate solutions to ministry issues;
- work independently, responsibly and with the level expected in a broad range of professional, ministry, and business contexts;
- collaborate in team projects to make a positive contribution toward social issues;
- undertake self-reflection and evaluation of performance for the purpose of vocational development.
Graduates of this course of study may find employment in a relevant occupational field, such as: business and professional organisations; mission-based or not-for-profit organisations or educational institutions that require skills in creative and innovative thinking.
This course is not currently available to International Students