Details for The Self-Reflective Educator
This subject is designed to encourage the pre-service teachers to take time to reflect on their own personalities in the light of their chosen career and potential leadership positions that they are likely to encounter throughout their profession. It also aims to equip them to handle stress and possible conflict situations with better outcomes for all involved.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: EDU322
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Jim Twelves
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering The Self-Reflective Educator
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
This subject is designed to encourage the pre-service teachers to take time to reflect on their own personalities in the light of their chosen career and potential leadership positions that they are likely to encounter throughout their profession. It also aims to equip them to handle stress and possible conflict situations with better outcomes for all involved. Students will also be encouraged to enlarge the spiritual side of their life and in so doing equip them to further develop their own philosophy of education, in order to provide a firm foundation for a long successful career in serving future generations of children.
- Critically reflect on one’s own approach to teaching using personality profiles, as well as feedback from mentors and peers, examining how it improves one’s own teaching practice in the classroom;
- Demonstrate an integrated understanding of personality profiles and leadership theory in the spiritual formation of an educator;
- Evaluate the impact of different leadership types within communities, such as churches, community organisations and schools;
- Reflect on the catalysts for increased stress and conflict in life and work and explore effective management and coping strategies;
- Integrate a sustainable model of Christian education within a personal, dynamic philosophy of education.
- Personality profiles: Jung; Myers-Biggs; Marston’s DISC; emotional intelligence; personality disorders; managing stress; conflict resolution; ethical conduct and integrity;
- Leadership Types: Australian Professional Standards for Teachers’ professional learning needs; management v. leadership; team, servant leadership; charismatic; democratic; task-oriented; change management; mentoring; how leaders learn;
- Spiritual formation: Critical Journey; stages of life – recognition of God, life of discipleship, productive life, journey inward, journey outward, life of love; the importance of prayer support;
- Heart of the teacher; research project; converting to calling to service; thinking Christianly; running the marathon;
- Toward a Sustainable Model of Christian Education: public schools; private schools; closed Christian schooling; sold-out-to-culture Christian schools; responsibility model; education for shalom; equipping for ministry of reconciliation.
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Distance/ Global Online
- Critical Reflection (20%)
- Minor Essay (30%)
- Major Essay (50%)
- References will include the most current curriculum requirements for schools.
Check with the instructor each semester before purchasing any prescribed texts or representative references