Associate Professor Ben MyersGraduate Research School Director
Contact Ben Myers
Ben oversees the higher degree research programs at Alphacrucis (Honours, MPhil, DMin, PhD). He has worked extensively in research and postgraduate supervision, and has been a research fellow at the University of Queensland, a lecturer at Charles Sturt University, and dean of liberal arts at Christian Heritage College. His international appointments have included visiting fellow at Fuller Theological Seminary and member in residence at the Center of Theological Inquiry in Princeton. Ben has published widely in theology, literature, and the history of Christian thought. His current research focuses on poetry and theology in the 17th century, especially George Herbert and John Milton.
PhD (cum laude) (James Cook University)
Dissertation Title The Theology of Freedom in Milton’s Paradise Lost 2005
BA(Hons1) (James Cook University)
Dissertation Title Ontological Inquiry in Samuel Beckett’s The Unnamable 2001
BA (Christian Heritage College, Brisbane) 2000
Literature and theology
Early Christian thought
Field of Research
- 2005 Literary Studies
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- 2299 Other Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Myers, B. (2018). The Apostles’ Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism. Lexham Press: Bellingham.
- Myers, B. (2013). Salvation in My Pocket: Fragments of Faith and Theology. Cascade Books: Eugene.
- Myers, B. (2012). Christ the Stranger: The Theology of Rowan Williams. T&T Clark: London.
- Myers, B. (2006). Milton's Theology of Freedom. de Gruyter: Berlin.
- Myers, B. (2021). Disruptive History: Rowan Williams on Heresy and Orthodoxy In Matheson Russell (Ed.), On Rowan Williams: Critical Essays (pp. 47-67). Cascade: Eugene.
- Myers, B. and Stephens, S. (2019). The discipline of the eyes: patristic reflections on visual culture In John Frederick (ed.), The HTML of Cruciform Love (pp. ). Pickwick Press: Eugene.
- Myers, B. (2019). ‘Truth, Not Custom’: Joseph Ratzinger on Faith and Reason In Tim Perry (ed.), The Theology of Benedict XVI: A Protestant Appreciation (pp. ). Lexham Press: Bellingham.
- Myers, B. (2016). Exegetical Mysticism: Scripture, Paideia, and the Spiritual Senses In Janice McRandal (Ed.), Sarah Coakley and the Future of Systematic Theology (pp. 1-14). Fortress: Minneapolis.
- Myers, B. (2015). The Patristic Atonement Model In Oliver Crisp and Fred Sanders (Eds.), Locating Atonement: Explorations in Constructive Dogmatics (pp. 71-88). Zondervan: Grand Rapids.
- Myers, B. (2014). Dietrich Bonhoeffer In Seforosa Carroll and William W. Emilsen (Eds.), Great Spiritual Leaders: Studies in Leadership for a Pluralist Society (pp. ). Barton Books: Canberra.
- Myers, B. (2013). A Tale of Two Gardens: Augustine’s Narrative Interpretation of Romans 5 In Beverly Gaventa (Ed.), in Apocalpytic Paul: Cosmos and Anthropos in Romans 5-8 (pp. 39-58). Baylor University Press: Waco.
- Myers, B. (2013). Pauline Apocalyptic and Political Nihilism: Jacob Taubes and Karl Barth In David W. Congdon (Ed.), Barth in Conversation (pp. ). Cascade: Eugene.
- Myers, B. (2012). Karl Barth’s Theology in Australia In Günter Thomas and Bruce McCormack (Eds.), Dogmatics after Barth: Facing Challenges in Church, Society, and the Academy (pp. 53-66). Leipzig.
- Myers, B. (2012). Thomas Aquinas In Thomas Corns (Ed.), The Milton Encyclopedia (pp. ). Yale University Press: New Haven.
- Myers, B. (2012). The Fall In Thomas Corns (Ed.), The Milton Encyclopedia (pp. ). Yale University Press: New Haven.
- Myers, B. (2012). Predestination In Thomas Corns (Ed.), The Milton Encyclopedia (pp. ). Yale University Press: New Haven.
- Myers, B. (2011). Election, Trinity and the History of Jesus: Reading Barth with Rowan Williams In Myk Habets (Ed.), Trinitarian Theology After Barth (pp. ). Pickwick: Eugene.
- Myers, B. (2011). ‘Through him all things were made’: Creation, Redemption, Election In Ernst Conradie (Ed.), Creation and Salvation: Dialogue on Abraham Kuyper’s Legacy for Contemporary Ecotheology (pp. ). Brill: Leiden.
- PLEASE UPDATE (2009). From Faithfulness to Faith in the Theology of Karl Barth In Michael F. Bird and Preston M. Sprinkle (Eds.), The Faith of Jesus Christ: Exegetical, Biblical and Theological Studies (pp. 291-308). Paternoster: Carlisle.
- Myers, B. (2014). The Cloister and the Barracks: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Formation of Christian Community. Australian Army Chaplaincy Journal, Winter 2014 43-50.
- Myers, B. (2011). The Aesthetics of Christian Mission. Uniting Church Studies, 17.
- Myers, B. (2011). Rights, Resistance and the Common Good: Calvin’s Political Theology. Uniting Church Studies, 17.
- Myers, B. (2010). Theology 2.0: Blogging as Theological Discourse. Cultural Encounters, 6:1 47-60.
- Myers, B. (2010). ‘In his own strange way’: Indigenous Australians and the Church’s Confession. Uniting Church Studies, 16:1 39-48.
- Myers, B. (2009). Karl Barth and Contemporary Paganism. Princeton Seminary Bulletin, 30 152-79.
- Sacrifice in the Poetry of George Herbert (2018), ANZATS, Brisbane, Australia, 01 Jun 2018
- Myers, B. (2018). Take and Read: Theology: An Annotated List of the Best New Titles. The Christian Century, .
- Myers, B. (2017). Take and Read: Theology: An Annotated List of the Best New Titles. The Christian Century, .
- Myers, B. (2014). The Cloister and the Barracks: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Formation of Christian Community. Australian Army Chaplaincy Journal, 43-50.
- Myers, B. (2015). Faith Gives Fullness to Reasoning. ABC Religion & Ethics, .
- Myers, B. (2015). On Not Confusing Church and State. ABC Religion & Ethics, .
- Myers, B. (2015). Love Your Neighbour: Why Tony Abbott is (partly) right and his critics are (partly) wrong. ABC Religion & Ethics, .
- Yu, J. I., Faith and Justification in Korean Reformed Theology (Doctoral Thesis)
- Anderson, R., Metaphysics and Language in Contemporary Theology (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Green, R., Kenosis and Ascent: The Trajectory of the Self in the Thought of John Milbank and Rowan Williams (Doctoral Thesis)
- Howard, B., The theology of the human person in Clinical Pastoral Education (Doctoral Thesis)
- Iese, A., Edward Schillebeeckx in Dialogue with Pacific Contextual Theology (Masters Project/Thesis)
- McKinlay, B., Rowan Williams’ theory of conflict, solidarity, and ecumenism (Doctoral Thesis)
- Palmer, D., Negotiating the Historic Episcopate: Christian Unity Discussions Between the Anglican and Non-Episcopal Communions, 1888–1938 (Doctoral Thesis)
- Wilcoxen, M., Morally Perfect Being Theology: A Doctrine of Divine Humility (Doctoral Thesis)
- Wright, S., Dogmatic Aesthetics: A Theology of Beauty in Dialogue with Robert W. Jenson (Doctoral Thesis)
If you’d like to contact Ben, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.