Dr DJ KonzAssociate / Acting Dean of Theology
Contact DJ Konz
DJ is Associate Dean of the Faculty of Theology, and Head of the Theology Department, at Alphacrucis College. DJ comes from a background in the Christian Non-Profit sector, most recently as the Executive Director of Advocacy at Compassion Australia. Before his academic career, DJ also worked in the broadcast media and as a professional Christian musician, and has preached and spoken in churches and at events around the world. He wrote his doctoral dissertation at the University of Aberdeen on the child in the thought of Karl Barth, and his wider teaching and research areas include systematic and historical theology (especially Karl Barth and Dietrich Bonhoeffer), as well as mission theology, public and political theology, and child theology. He is the co-editor of Theology, Mission and Child: Global Perspectives (Oxford: Regnum, 2014) and has published various book chapters and journal articles. He is a member of the Society for the Study of Theology (UK), the American Academy of Religion, and an Associate Fellow with the Higher Education Academy (UK). He cares deeply about issues of social justice, and the importance of theology to Christian discipleship, ministry and mission. He also loves AFL, the Scottish highlands and islands, and his wife Louise and their two daughters Bethany and Emelyn.
PhD (Divinity) (University of Aberdeen)
Dissertation Title The child in relation to God, with reference to the theology of Karl Barth. 2017
MA (Theology & Religious Studies) (Distinction) (University of Nottingham)
Dissertation Title "Choosing my religion": Patterns, trends and implications of recent Western conversions to Islam. 2004
Postgraduate Diploma, Mission Studies Research (Oxford Centre for Mission Studies)
Dissertation Title The child in historical, theological and missiological perspective. 2013
Graduate Diploma in Ministry (Tabor College, Adelaide) 2003
Bachelor of Ministry (Tabor College, Adelaide) 2001
Systematic and historical theology, Karl Barth studies, child theology, public theology, political theology, justice and human flourishing, and mission theology.
Field of Research
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- 2299 Other Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Konz, DJ (2021). Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Christo-ecclesial unity in Christian Higher Education In Johannes M. Luetz, Beth Green (eds), Innovating Christian Education Research: Multidisciplinary Perspectives (pp. 87-102). Springer, Singapore.
- Konz, DJ (2018). The even Greater Commission: Relating the Great Commission to the missio Dei, and human agency to divine activity, in mission.'. Missiology: An International Review, Vol. 46:4 333-349.
- The hope and possibility of Christo-centric unity in Christian Higher Education, with reference to the theologies of Barth and Bonhoeffer (2019), Australian Christian Higher Education Alliance National Conference, Brisbane, Queensland, 01 Aug 2019
- Barth, the baby, and the Augustinian bathwater: Why a modified doctrine of original sin remains important to a theological anthropology of the child (2019), Society for the Study of Theology (UK) Annual Conference, University of Warwick, UK, 10 Apr 2019
- ‘Paedo-credo baptism’: A constructive renovation of Karl Barth’s theologies of children and baptism to embrace child baptism’. (2018), Australia New Zealand Association of Theological Schools National Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 03 Jul 2018
- Pneumatologising Pentecostal, Charismatic, and Evangelical Mission (2017), Harvest Research Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 14 Sep 2017
- Whither Child Theology? Some observations on the theological method of Child Theology (2016), Child Theology Futures Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 03 Nov 2016
- Barth’s child: The concept and challenge of the child in the theology of Karl Barth, with constructive proposals (2015), American Academy of Religion Annual Conference, San Diego, USA, 24 Nov 2015
- Seen but not (having) heard: Child faith in light of Barth’s doctrines of revelation and infant baptism (2015), Society for the Study of Theology (UK) Annual Conference, University of Nottingham, UK, 15 Apr 2015
- Beyond missio Dei: Barth's alternative vision of divine and human agency in mission (2014), Missio Dei – Evangelicalism and the New Politics Conference, University of Chester, UK, 13 Jun 2014
- Un-silencing the lambs: theological and epistemological foundations for speaking of, with and for the child in theological discourse (2014), Society for the Study of Theology (UK) Annual Conference, University of Durham, 09 Apr 2014
- Prevette, B, White, K J, Ewell, CRV and Konz, DJ (eds) (2014). Theology, Mission and Child: Global Perspectives. Regnum International: Oxford, UK. | External link
- Konz, DJ (2017). Karl Barth’s theological anthropology as a resource for overcoming the objectification of children in mission In V. Kozhuharov and J. J. Knoetze (eds), Conversion and Transformation: Children and Youth in Mission Contexts (pp. 136-150). International Association of Mission Scholars: Wellington, South Africa.
- Konz, DJ (2014). The many and the One: Theology, mission and child in historical perspective In B. Prevette, K. J. White, C. R. V. Ewell, & D. J. Konz (eds), Theology, Mission and Child: Global Perspectives (pp. 23-46). Regnum International: Oxford, UK. | External link
- Konz, DJ (2019). Child Theology and its theological method, past and future. Anvil: A Journal of Theology and Mission, 35:1 21-27. | Link to journal
American Academy of Religion (since 2015)
Child and Youth Study Group, International Association of Mission Scholars (since 2016)
Child Theology Movement, International (since 2014)
Global Children’s Forum (since 2010)
Higher Education Academy (UK) - Associate Fellow (since 2015)
Society for the Study of Theology (UK) (since 2013)
- Rizzo, D, Anima-Glossolalia: A Step Toward Pentecostal Animal Theology (Masters Project/Thesis), 2019
- Badman, R, Peaceable Parenting: The Implications of a Theology of Nonviolence for Christian Parenting (Masters Project/Thesis), 2019
- Garibay, GA, A Comparative Analysis of Calvin's Presentation of Free Will in his Doctrine of Creation of Humanity and Double Predestination with Implications for the Nature of God (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Holdsworth, S, The Spiritual Development of Children: Theories and Practice (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
If you’d like to contact DJ, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.