Rev. Dr Kevin HoveyHead of Department, Pastoral and Cross Cultural Ministry, Senior Lecturer in Missiology
Contact Kevin Hovey
Kevin's current role, Head of Department: Pastoral and Cross Cultural Ministry, is an interesting convergence of many experiences and roles covering more than 45 years as an ordained minister of the Australian Christian Churches.
Starting with 31 years as a missionary in Papua New Guinea, ministry was focused on developing and training local leaders. This ranged from church planting and informal mentoring of leaders in remote villages to developing Bible college structures and curriculum. Serving as consultant to the National Executive Council of Assemblies of God of Papua New Guinea provided opportunities for input – and for growth. In 2017, this service was recognized by the Papua New Guinea government with the Member of Logohu award that was announced in the Independence Day Honours list.
While still on field, the need for missionary training became evident, so the internationally recognized World Harvest Institute “missionary finishing program”, as some have termed it was developed. Post Papua New Guinea, missionary leadership, missionary strategy and missionary training roles have continued to keep a focus on task of mission, but with a greater focus on seeing that outworked through local churches and through trained field personnel.
Kevin’s PhD thesis, completed in 2017, is entitled Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology, which has since been published using the same name by Pickwick Publications.
He also serves as the Oceania representative on the Pentecostal World Fellowship’s World Missions Commission, rubbing shoulders with key mission leaders from around the world. Pentecostal World Fellowship's member denominations represent approximately 100 million Pentecostal Christians.
PhD (Alphacrucis College)
Dissertation Title Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology 2017
Master of Arts in Missiology (School of World Mission, Fuller Theological Seminary)
Dissertation Title A Manual for Cross Cultural Christians 1983
Diploma in Biblical Studies (Southern Cross College) 1997
Missions, missiology, missionary training, mission strategy, contextualization, ministry in spirit aware contexts
Effective pastoral ministry: preparation, practice and reflection
Field of Research
- 1601 Anthropology
- 1699 Other Studies in Human Society
- 2002 Cultural Studies
- 2099 Other Language
- 2204 Communication and Culture
- Hovey, K G (2019). Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications. | AC Link
- Hovey, Kevin G (1995). Before All Else Fails Read the Instructions: A Manual for Cross Cultural Christians (2nd Edition). Brisbane: Harvest Publications. | External link
- Hovey, Kevin G (1992). Tok Welkam long Holi Spirit. Maprik PNG: Assemblies Publications.
- Tippett, A. R., Priest, D (2015). The Integrating Gospel and The Christian: Fiji 1835-67 In Foreword, The Integrating Gospel, (pp. ix-x). Pasadena: William Carey Library. | External link
- Hamalainen, A, McClung, G, (et al) (2012). Together in One Mission: Pentecostal Cooperation in World Evangelization In , (pp. ). .
- Hovey, Kevin G (1991). A Living Tapestry In , Invading Paradise: Inspiring Stories of the AOG Missionaries in Papua New Guinea (pp. Pages 53 - 56). Melbourne: AOG World Missions.
- Havea, Sione 'Amanaki, Et Al. (1987). South Pacific Theology: Papers from the Consultation on Pacific Theology, Papua New Guinea, January 1986 In Hovey, Kevin G, Christian living in Papua New Guinea : some problems and solutions (pp. ). Oxford: Regnum.
- Hovey, Kevin G (2014). Australian Journal of Mission Studies. Australian Journal of Mission Studies, Volume 8, Number 2 Guest Editorial, pages 1 - 2.
- Hovey, Kevin George (2014). Alan Tippett: Australian Missiologist. Australian Journal of Missions Studies, Volume 8 Number 2 pages 30 - 33.
- Hovey, Kevin G (1990). Pentecostal Churches in Papua New Guinea. Catalyst: Social Pastoral Magazine for Melanesia, Volume 20, Number 1 Pages 63 - 71.
- Hovey, Kevin G (1983). Towards Effective Ministry in Cargo Endemic Areas. Point, No 2: Religious Movements in Melanesia Today Pages 115 - 129.
- Orality in Pentecostal Churches (2014), Bookends Conference - ”Bookends – learning and sharing faith in a YouTube world”, SMBC Sydney, 31 May 2014
American Sociaty of Missiology (since 2017)
American Society of Missiology (since 1979)
Associate Field Team, Australian Christian Churches International (since 2011)
Australian Association of Mission Studies (since 2004)
- CCM101 Introduction to Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM102 Biblical Foundations of Mission
- CCM201 Cross Cultural Communication
- CCM202 Anthropology in Christian Ministry
- CCM203 Ministry in Animistic Contexts
- CCM221 Preparing for Cross Cultural Field Ministry
- CCM222 Personal and Professional Skills for Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM223 Methods and Strategies for Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM304 World Religions
- CCM305 Exploring Islam
- CCM392 Cross Cultural Ministry Field Study
- CCM401 Introduction to Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM503 Ministry in Animistic Contexts
- CCM504 Church Planting and Contemporary Christianity
- CCM505 Exploring Islam
- CCM508 World Religions
- CCM510 Cross Cultural Ministry Field Practicum
- CCM592 Cross Cultural Ministry Field Study
- EXP201 Professional Practice
- EXP301 Advanced Professional Practice
- EXP501 Professional Practice
- MIN101 Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
- MIN201 Pastoral Administration and Management
- MIN202 Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN203 Preaching
- MIN204 Healing Ministry
- MIN302 Discipleship
- MIN304 Church Planting
- MIN306 Advanced Pastoral Ministry
- MIN326 Advanced Children's and Youth Ministry
- MIN401 Foundations of Pastoral Ministry
- MIN506 Healing Ministry
- MIN508 Church Planting
- MIN509 Discipleship
- MIN510 Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN601 Theory and Practice in Ministry
- MIN802 Advanced Studies in Ministry
- MINMIS410A Prepare for cross-cultural ministry
- MINMIS509A Design a plan to transition into another culture
- MINMIS510A Develop skills in cross-cultural ministry
- MINMIS511A Research and analyse religions from around the world
- MINMIS512A Develop personal life skills for cross-cultural ministry
- MINMIS513A Develop a strategy for cross-cultural ministry
- MINMIS514A Implement sustainable cross-cultural ministry principles
- RES500 Independent Guided Research
- RES501 Research Project
- RES703 MPhil Research Thesis
- RES802 Research Thesis
- RES803 PhD Research Thesis
- Odion, Omogbai, The Pentecostal Phenomenon: An Examination of Factors Contributing to the Growth, Expansion, and Influence of Pentecostal Churches in Nigeria from 1998 to 2018. (Doctoral Thesis)
- Onyait , Samuel, Holistic mission and National transformation: the Role of Churches and Christian Development Organizations in Meeting Spiritual and Development Needs in Uganda (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Philip Gai, The nationwide movement towards the acceptance of Christianity in Southern Sudan between 1983 – 2005? (Doctoral Thesis)
- Seetahal, K, An exploration of donor influence on the poverty alleviation methods of christian faith based development organizations (Doctoral Thesis)
- Ives, Jack, What approaches could overcome identified common obstacles faced by church planters within Australian capital cities in the early 21st Century? (Masters Project/Thesis), 2019
- Zheng Cheng Tang, Ministry Approaches in Chinese Collectivism (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Cindi Wirawan, Creating an evangelistic culture in a local church (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Addisalem Tsegaye, Effective Church Model for Australian Ethnic Churches from non-English Speaking Backgrounds (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Richard Botta, Are the key elements of Discipleship effectively described by the following four elements, Character; Spiritual Life; Skills and Theology? (Masters Project/Thesis), 2016
- Susana Lee, Reflection on a twenty-five year journey as an ethnic service pastor (Masters Project/Thesis), 2016
- Peter Patterson, How to Successfully Plant New Churches in Rural Sri Lanka (Masters Project/Thesis), 2015
- Victor Kollie, Leadership & Community Change (Masters Project/Thesis), 2015
- Iliafi T F Esera, Is it possible that the same cultural and historical elements that aided the spread of Christianity and church growth in and through Samoa, could subsequently become barriers to the influence of Christianity in and through Samoan churches planted outside (Masters Project/Thesis), 2014
- Derek Gerrard, Discuss why church planting in urban centres is relevant today and how missionary church planting approaches should be part of that process. In particular, that will cover a way a missionary analyses the local culture, and then plants churches that engage (Masters Project/Thesis), 2010
If you’d like to contact Kevin, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.