Master of Arts in Missiology
Diploma in Biblical Studies
Kevin is a member of the Faculty of Theology and specialises in the following areas: Church Planting , Communication , Ministry , Missiology , Pastoral Theology and Practice , Revitalisation .
Kevin's current role, Head of Department: Pastoral and Cross Cultural Ministry, is an interesting convergence of many experiences and roles covering more than 45 years as an ordained minister of the Australian Christian Churches.
Starting with 31 years as a missionary in Papua New Guinea, ministry was focused on developing and training local leaders. This ranged from informal mentoring in remote villages to developing Bible college structures and curriculum. Serving as consultant to the National Executive Council of Assemblies of God of Papua New Guinea provided opportunities for input – and for growth. In 2017, this service was recognized by the Papua New Guinea government with the Member of Logohu award that was announced in the Independence Day Honours list.
While still on field, the need for missionary training became evident, so the internationally recognized World Harvest Institute “missionary finishing program”, as some have termed it. Post Papua New Guinea, missionary leadership, missionary strategy and missionary training roles have continued to keep a focus on task of mission, but with a greater focus on seeing that outworked through local churches.
Kevin’s PhD thesis, completed in 2017, is entitled Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology, which has since been published using the same name by Pickwick Publicaitons.
He also serves as the Oceania representative on the Pentecostal World Fellowship’s World Missions Commission, rubbing shoulders with key mission leaders from around the world.
- CCM101 - Introduction to Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM102 - Biblical Foundations of Mission
- CCM201 - Cross Cultural Communication
- CCM202 - Anthropology in Christian Ministry
- CCM203 - Ministry in Animistic Contexts
- CCM221 - Preparing for Cross Cultural Field Ministry
- CCM222 - Personal and Professional Skills for Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM223 - Methods and Strategies for Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM304 - World Religions
- CCM305 - Exploring Islam
- CCM392 - Cross Cultural Ministry Field Study
- CCM401 - Introduction to Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM503 - Ministry in Animistic Contexts
- CCM505 - Exploring Islam
- CCM506 - Innovative Practice in Cross Cultural Ministry
- CCM508 - World Religions
- CCM510 - Cross Cultural Ministry Field Practicum
- CCM592 - Cross Cultural Ministry Field Study
- EXP201 - Professional Practice
- EXP301 - Advanced Professional Practice
- EXP501 - Professional Practice
- MIN101 - Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
- MIN102 - Christian Spirituality
- MIN201 - Pastoral Administration and Management
- MIN202 - Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN203 - Preaching
- MIN204 - Healing Ministry
- MIN205 - Church and Society
- MIN302 - Discipleship
- MIN304 - Church Planting
- MIN305 - Relationships
- MIN326 - Advanced Children's and Youth Ministry
- MIN401 - Foundations of Pastoral Ministry
- MIN402 - Christian Spirituality
- MIN503 - Pentecostal Ministry Foundations
- MIN504 - Preaching and Public Communication
- MIN505 - Relationships
- MIN506 - Healing Ministry
- MIN507 - Church and Society
- MIN508 - Church Planting
- MIN509 - Discipleship
- MIN510 - Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN802 - Advanced Studies in Ministry
- RES500 - Independent Guided Research
- RES501 - Research Project
- RES602 - Research Project
- RES603 - MPhil Research Thesis
- RES802 - Research Thesis
- RES803 - PhD Research Thesis
Missions, missiology, missionary training, mission strategy, contextualization, ministry in spirit aware contexts
Effective pastoral ministry: preparation, practice and reflection
PhD (Alphacrucis College)
Dissertation Title Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology
Master of Arts in Missiology (School of World Mission, Fuller Theological Seminary)
Dissertation Title A Manual for Cross Cultural Christians
Diploma in Biblical Studies (Southern Cross College)
Kevin Hovey (2019). Guiding Light: Contributions of Alan R. Tippett Toward the Development and Dissemination of Twentieth Century Missiology. . | AC Link
Tippett, A. R., Priest, D (2015). The Integrating Gospel and The Christian: Fiji 1835-67 In Foreword, The Integrating Gospel, (pp. ix-x). Pasadena: William Carey Library. | External link
Hovey, Kevin George (2014). Alan Tippett: Australian Missiologist. Australian Journal of Missions Studies, Volume 8 Number 2pages 30 - 33.
Hovey, Kevin G (2014). Australian Journal of Mission Studies. Australian Journal of Mission Studies, Volume 8, Number 2Guest Editorial, pages 1 - 2.
Hamalainen, A, McClung, G, (et al) (2012). Together in One Mission: Pentecostal Cooperation in World Evangelization In , (pp. ). .
Hovey, Kevin G (1995). Before All Else Fails Read the Instructions: A Manual for Cross Cultural Christians (2nd Edition). Brisbane: Harvest Publications. | External link
Hovey, Kevin G (1992). Tok Welkam long Holi Spirit. Maprik PNG: Assemblies Publications.
Hovey, Kevin G (1991). A Living Tapestry In , Invading Paradise: Inspiring Stories of the AOG Missionaries in Papua New Guinea (pp. Pages 53 - 56). Melbourne: AOG World Missions.
Hovey, Kevin G (1990). Pentecostal Churches in Papua New Guinea. Catalyst: Social Pastoral Magazine for Melanesia, Volume 20, Number 1Pages 63 - 71.
Havea, Sione 'Amanaki, Et Al. (1987). South Pacific Theology: Papers from the Consultation on Pacific Theology, Papua New Guinea, January 1986 In Hovey, Kevin G, Christian living in Papua New Guinea : some problems and solutions (pp. ). Oxford: Regnum.
Hovey, Kevin G (1983). Towards Effective Ministry in Cargo Endemic Areas. Point, No 2: Religious Movements in Melanesia TodayPages 115 - 129.
Global Training Ministries : Private website where many cross cultural ministry courses described in a field oriented way.
8:30 am - 5 pm Monday - Friday
If you’d like to contact Kevin, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.