Professor Stephen FogartyPresident
Contact Stephen Fogarty
"The poster-boy of ecumenicalism. He was raised a Catholic, studied at the Anglican Moore Theological College, and is now Pentecostal." - The Sydney Morning Herald 2019
Professor Stephen Fogarty has worked as an economist, pastor, church planter, college lecturer, and since 1999, the President of Alphacrucis College (AC) - the national training college of Australian Christian Churches (ACC).
Stephen holds a PhD in Organisational Leadership, a Master of Arts in Theology, a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a Diploma in Bible and Christian Ministries. Stephen is a renowned world expert on Pentecostalism and Contemporary Church Leadership. His PhD research explores Transformational Leadership, examining the relationship between leadership behaviour and follower motivation. In 2016, Stephen released his first book, Light a Fire: How to Effectively Motivate Volunteers in Your Church.
An international speaker, he frequently presents on the international speaking circuit, national conferences, colleges, seminars and staff days. He speaks regularly at churches across the globe, as well as leading NFP business organizations on the subject of leadership.
Prior to his role at Alphacrucis College, Stephen had many years' involvement in pastoral ministry, and has pioneered three churches with his wife, Sandra. Stephen is an ordained minister with ACC and is most certainly a pastor at heart; a biblical preacher offering valuable insights into ‘how to live a Spirit-filled life’. Relatable with a genuine desire to run alongside and champion other senior leaders, he spends much of his own personal time equipping, encouraging and propelling Pastors and community leaders forward.
Stephen chairs the Asia Pacific Theological Association, Alphacrucis College New Zealand, and is a board member of Asia Pacific Theological Seminary, and World Alliance for Pentecostal Theological Education.
An avid marathon runner, Stephen is seen running all over the globe as he continues to devote his marathons to raising funds for the ‘Alphacrucis College University Vision’. He is completing his 20th marathon in 2020, where he continues to run the 42.195 kilometres in both the Boston and Chicago Marathons.
PhD (Organisational Leadership) (Regent University)
Dissertation Title The Impact of Senior Pastor Leadership Behaviors on Volunteer Motivation 2013
Master of Arts (Theology) (Australian College of Theology) 2000
Bachelor of Arts (Economics) (Murdoch University) 1981
Diploma (Bible and Christian Ministries) (Commonwealth Bible College) 1984
Business, Leadership, Ministry
Church and not-for-profit organisational leadership.
Field of Research
- 1503 Business and Management
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- Fogarty S. G.(2016). Light a Fire: How to effectively motivate volunteers in your church. Parramatta, Australia: Australasian Pentecostal Studies.
- Fogarty, S.G.(2016). Is servant leadership effective in motivating volunteers? In Fountain, A.K.(ed.), Theological education in a cross-cultural context: Essays in honor of John and Bea Carter (pp. 225-248). Baguio City, Philippines: APTS Press.
- Fogarty, S. G.(2011). The servant leadership of David Yonggi Cho. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, 14.
- Fogarty, S. G.(2010). The dark side of charismatic leadership. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, 13.
- Fogarty, S. G.(2009). Gender and leadership behaviour among senior pastors. Asian Journal of Pentecostal Studies, 12 (2).
- Servant Leadership and Volunteer Motivation (2019), Asia Pacific Theological Association Theological Symposium, Hong Kong, 03 Sep 2019
- Is servant leadership effective church leadership? (2016), 45th Annual Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Los Angeles, USA, 01 Jan 2016
- Is servant leadership effective in motivating volunteers? (2015), Asia Pacific Theological Association Theological Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan, 01 Jan 2015
- A Grounded Theory Study of Church Leadership Processes (2014), XIII International Studying Leadership Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 01 Jan 2014
- Transformational and Transactional Leadership in Australian Christian Churches (2013), E21 Scholars Conference, Sydney, Australia, 01 Jan 2013
- Effective leadership in Australian Christian Churches (2013), World Alliance for Pentecostal Theological Education Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 01 Jan 2013
- How leaders impact the motivation of organisation members (2013), International Conference on Pentecostal Theology, Sydney, Australia, 01 Jan 2013
- The impact of senior pastor leadership behaviour on volunteer motivation (2013), XII International Studying Leadership Conference, Rome, Italy, 01 Jan 2013
- The Servant Leadership of David Yonggi Cho (2011), Youngsan International Theological Symposium, Seoul, Korea, 01 Jan 2011
- The Dark Side of Charismatic Leadership (2010), Asia Pacific Theological Association Theological Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 01 Jan 2010
- Gender and Leadership Behaviour Amoung Senior Pastors (2009), Asian Pacific Theological Association Theological Symposium, Sydney, Australia, 01 Jan 2009
- Fogarty, Stephen (2019). Loistavaa! Opas vapaaehtoisten motivoimiseen seutakunnasa. .
- Fogarty, Stephen (2016). Light A Fire: How to effectively motivate volunteers in your Church. .
- Fogarty, Stephen (2016). Theological education in a cross-cultural context: Essays in honour of John and Bea Carter In , (pp. ). .
- Potts, D., The Triple "A" Theory of Ministry Function and Family Fulfilment (Doctoral Thesis), 2018
If you’d like to contact Stephen, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.