Executive Committee Terms of Reference Policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish the functions and responsibilities of the Executive Committee (EC) of Alphacrucis College (AC) and its sub-committees and teams.
EC is responsible to the President and exists in order to manage the day to day functions of the College along the lines established by the policies and strategic plan of the College.It may also perform such other duties as may be delegated to it by the President from time to time. EC may delegate any of its powers or functions to sub-committees and teams.
1.1 Appointment of a Chair
The Chair will be the President of the College who is appointed by Council.
Membership of EC will consist of the President, Vice President Academic (VPA), Vice President Operations (VPO), and other members of the College administration and faculty appointed by the President.
For the President, VPA and VPO, the term will be for the duration of their employment in those positions, or until the EC has considered and approved revised membership. For other members of the College administration and faculty, the term will be at the discretion of the President.
The President will appoint a Secretary.
2. Terms of reference
The principle functions of EC are to:
- develop and ensure compliance with AC management policies and procedures;
- implement the AC Strategic Plan and AC budget;
- oversee the efficient management of College staff, operations and assets;
- maintain coordination and liaison between academic and administrative functions;
- promote the safety and well-being of AC staff and students;
- keep the College aligned to its stated purpose and mission;
- set the standards of conduct for staff and students.
EC will not approve or act in any matter that is otherwise within the authority of Council or a committee of Council, or act or decide in a manner contrary to decisions previously made by Council.
3.1 Frequency of meetings
EC will meet at least once per month during semester, and at other times at the discretion of the President.
The quorum for meetings of EC will be at least fifty percent of voting members of EC present in person.
3.3 Attendance by College staff members
The Committee can invite any staff member of the College to attend meetings and may refer matters deemed to require attention directly to the appropriate staff member.
The agenda for each meeting of EC will be prepared by the Secretary, in consultation with the President, and provided to members of the Committee on a timely basis in advance of the meeting. Items on the agenda will be supported by written papers, as required. Minutes of meetings will be approved or revised at the following meeting.
4. Reporting to Council
The President will include in his/her quarterly report to Council major decisions and outcomes from EC meetings held during the preceding quarter.
5. Subcommittees of the Executive Committee
EC may delegate any of its powers or functions to sub-committees and teams. The current EC subcommittees and teams are:
- Advancement Team
- Campus Management Committees
- Growth Committee
- Strategic Planning Team
- Workplace Health and Safety Committee
SUBCOMMITTEES AND TEAMS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Terms of reference for subcommittees and teams of EC include the following:
- Appointment of a Chair: the Chair will be appointed by the President;
- Term: the term of membership will be at the discretion of the President;
- Secretary: if required, the Chair will appoint a Secretary;
- Frequency of meetings: subcommittees and teams will meet once a quarter, and at other times at the discretion of the Chair;
- Quorum: the quorum for meetings of subcommittees or teams will be at least fifty percent of voting members present in person;
- Attendance by AC staff members: subcommittees and teams may invite any staff member to attend meetings and may refer matters deemed to require attention directly to the appropriate staff member;
- Agenda: the agenda for each meeting of the subcommittee or team will be prepared by the Chair or Secretary, and provided to members of the subcommittee or teams on a timely basis in advance of the meeting. Items on the agenda will be supported by written papers, as required. Minutes will be approved or revised at the following meeting;
- Reporting to EC: the Chair will include in his/her report to EC, analytical data attained by the meeting if relevant, recommendations to EC, minutes of the meeting, and any other information from subcommittee or team meetings held since the previous EC meeting.
1. Membership: Membership of Advancement Team (AT) will be at the discretion of the President.
2. Terms of reference: The principle functions of AT are to:
- ensure that advancement activities are prioritised, efficient and effective;
- oversee effectiveness of donor relations and fundraising;
- oversee of effectiveness of communications between AC and donors;
- identify and explore advancement opportunities.
CAMPUS MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
1. Membership: Membership of Campus Management Committees (CMC) includes: Director of Campuses; relevant Campus Director(s); other AC staff as required.
2. Terms of reference: the principle functions of CMCs are to:
- oversee the management and operations of the relevant AC campus;
- monitor services and discuss the review and improvement of campus facilities;
- oversee of effectiveness of communications between campuses and AC departments;
- table appropriate interventions and/or recommendations to EC.
1. Membership: Membership of Growth Committee (GC) includes:
- Dean of Students
- Director of Marketing
- Director of Student Recruitment
- Director of Campuses
2. Terms of reference: the principle functions of GC are to:
- oversee effectiveness of marketing, recruitment, retention and progression through the analysis of data to establish objectives, assess effectiveness, maintain accountability, and identify areas for improvement;
- oversee effectiveness of cross-functional communication between key growth drivers;
- appropriate intervention and/or recommendation to Executive Committee;
- identification and exploration of growth opportunities.
STRATEGIC PLANNING TEAM
1. Membership: Membership of Strategic Planning Team (SPT) will be at the discretion of the President.
2. Terms of reference: the principle functions of SPT are to:
- oversee the implementation of the AC rolling five year Strategic Plan;
- recommend updates and revisions to the AC Strategic Plan to EC and Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) of Council;
- review the appropriateness of the current AC Strategic Plan, taking into account the external operating environment of the College including economic and social trends, government policy, technological developments, and the activities of other relevant colleges;
- update the Strategic Plan for approval by EC and SPC.
WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY COMMITTEE
1. Membership: Membership of Workplace Health and Safety Committee (WHSC) includes: AC Facilities Manager; Workplace Health and Safety Officers; and at least one other staff member; and other representatives as required.
2. Terms of reference: the functions of WHSC are to:
- ensure compliance with the AC Workplace Health and Safety Policy across all campuses and Higher Education Third Parties (HETPs);
- monitor, review and implement the AC Workplace Health and Safety Manual;
- monitor reports of campuses and HETPs, including related workplace hazards and/or hazardous behaviour;
- monitor removal or management of hazards and/or hazardous behaviour;
- review response, intervention and management of a critical incident;
- log and propose improvements in the promotion and enhancement of work health and safety across all campus and HETPs environments, learning, and external College-related activities;
- consult and cooperate with external agencies (especially Workcover, local emergency services and local council) in maintaining sound practice, managing emergencies, hazard reduction, security and safety at all AC campuses and HETPs, and enhancement of safety for College staff, students, volunteers, visitors and tenants; and
- assess and approve WHS Working from Home checklists that are submitted to the committee by AC staff.
Responsible for implementation