Executive Terms of Reference Policy
- Policy owner: President
- Policy category: Management: Executive
- Policy status: Approved
- Approval body: Council
- Endorsement body: Executive
- Related policies:
- Last amended: 20th Dec. 2022
- Relevant HESF:
The purpose of this policy is to establish the functions and responsibilities of the Executive of Alphacrucis University College (AC) and its sub-committees and teams.
Whole of AC
Executive is responsible to the President and exists in order to manage the day to day functions of AC along the lines established by the policies and strategic plan of AC. It may also perform such other duties as may be delegated to it by the President from time to time. Executive may delegate any of its powers or functions to sub-committees and teams.
1.1 Appointment of a Chair
The Chair will be appointed by the President.
Membership of the Executive will consist of the President, Vice President Academic (VPA), Vice President Operations (VPO), Vice President Advancement (VPAdv) and other members of AC administration and faculty appointed by the President.
For the President, VPA, VPO and VPAdv, the term will be for the duration of their employment in those positions, or until the Executive has considered and approved revised membership. For other members of AC administration and faculty, the term will be at the discretion of the President.
The President will appoint a Secretary.
2. Terms of reference
The principle functions of Executive are to:
- develop and ensure compliance with AC management policies and procedures;
- implement the AC Strategic Plan and AC budget;
- oversee the efficient management of AC staff, operations and assets;
- maintain coordination and liaison between academic and administrative functions;
- promote the wellbeing and safety of AC staff and students, including ensuring appropriate prevention, support and reporting measures regarding sexual assault and sexual harassment;
- keep AC aligned to its stated purpose and mission;
- set the standards of conduct for staff and students.
Executive will not approve or act in any matter that is otherwise within the authority of Council or a committee of Council, or act or decide in a manner contrary to decisions previously made by Council.
3.1 Frequency of meetings
Executive will meet at least once per month during semester, and at other times at the discretion of the President.
The quorum for meetings of Executive will be at least 50 percent of voting members of Executive present in person.
3.3 Attendance by AC staff members
The Executive can invite any staff member of AC to attend meetings and may refer matters deemed to require attention directly to the appropriate staff member.
The agenda for each meeting of Executive will be prepared by the Secretary, in consultation with the President and Chair of Executive , and provided to members of the Executive on a timely basis in advance of the meeting. Items on the agenda will be supported by written papers, as required. Minutes of meetings will be approved or revised at the following meeting.
4. Reporting to Council
The President will include in their quarterly report to Council major decisions and outcomes from Executive meetings held during the preceding quarter.
5. Subcommittees of Executive
Executive may delegate any of its powers or functions to a sub-committee and as required.
Workplace Health and Safety Committee (WHSC) is a subcommittee of Executive and its terms of reference include the following:
- Membership: AC Facilities Manager; Workplace Health and Safety Officers; and at least one other staff member; and other representatives as required.
- Appointment of a Chair: the Chair will be appointed by the President;
- Term: the term of membership will be at the discretion of the President;
- Secretary: if required, the Chair will appoint a Secretary;
- Frequency of meetings: subcommittees and teams will meet once a quarter, and at other times at the discretion of the Chair;
- Quorum: the quorum for meetings of subcommittees or teams will be at least 50 percent of voting members present in person;
- Attendance by AC staff members: subcommittees and teams may invite any staff member to attend meetings and may refer matters deemed to require attention directly to the appropriate staff member;
- Agenda: the agenda for each meeting of the subcommittee or team will be prepared by the Chair or Secretary, and provided to members of the subcommittee or teams on a timely basis in advance of the meeting. Items on the agenda will be supported by written papers, as required. Minutes will be approved or revised at the following meeting;
- Reporting to Executive: the Chair will include in their report to Executive, analytical data attained by the meeting if relevant, recommendations to Executive, minutes of the meeting, and any other information from subcommittee or team meetings held since the previous Executive meeting.
- Terms of reference: the functions of WHSC are to:
- ensure compliance with the AC Workplace Health and Safety Policy across all campuses and Higher Education Third Parties (HETPs);
- ensure all campuses and HETPs maintain appropriate safety and secure measures for sexual assault and sexual harassment prevention, including CCTV and transparency in work and study areas;
- oversee the implementation and improvement of policies, procedures, and plans relating to the prevention, monitoring and reporting of sexual assault and sexual harassment;
- monitor, review and implement the AC Workplace Health and Safety Manual;
- monitor reports of campuses and HETPs, including related workplace hazards and/or hazardous behaviour;
- monitor removal or management of hazards and/or hazardous behaviour;
- review response, intervention and management of a critical incident;
- log and propose improvements in the promotion and enhancement of work health and safety across all campus and HETPs environments, learning, and external AC-related activities;
- consult and cooperate with external agencies (especially Workcover, local emergency services and local council) in maintaining sound practice, managing emergencies, hazard reduction, security and safety at all AC campuses and HETPs, and enhancement of safety for AC staff, students, volunteers, visitors and tenants; and
- assess and approve WHS Working from Home checklists that are submitted to the committee by AC staff.
Responsible for implementation