Details for Advanced Studies in Leadership
This subject is designed to equip students to identify, investigate and address organisational leadership issues and models, including effective leadership practices, systems theory, organisational culture, communication, and change processes as they relate to individuals and organisations. Students will develop a thesis on a contemporary leadership issue. The goal of this thesis is not only to benefit the student but to also make a contribution to the mission of the Church through its contribution of learning and/or new practice.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA802
- Credit points: 20
- Subject coordinator: Jon Newton
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Advanced Studies in Leadership
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
Upon completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a systemic and critical understanding of complex and advanced organisational leadership issues and models.
- Demonstrate an expert ability to autonomously and analytically engage in critical reflection, synthesis and evaluation of specific leadership and organisational contexts.
- Critically assess and apply effective leadership practices, systems theory, organisational culture, communication, and change processes as they relate to individuals and organisations.
- Propose a topic of research on a contemporary leadership issue and develop an articulate research approach.
- Display an advanced level of integrative reflection which will inform and enhance Christian leadership practice.
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face
- E-Learning (Online)
- Intensive: Two weeks (not necessarily consecutive): 7 hours per day for 10 days = 70 class hours + 170 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks.
- Extensive: Extensive: 10 days spread over the semester. This allows for students to complete readings, reflection and assessment and prepare for in-class activities between classes.
- Forum Postings/Seminar Discussions (20%)
- Project 1 (40%)
- Project 2 (40%)
Please consult your instructor prior to purchasing any textbooks
While there are general readings noted below, specific readings will be selected according to the leadership field of expertise.
- Gardner Howard E. and Laskin Emma, Leading Minds: An Anatomy of Leadership. New York: Basic Books, 2011.
- Galvão-Sobrinho,Carlos R. Doctrine and Power: Theological Controversy and Christian Leadership in the Later Roman Empire. University of California Press, 2013.
- Hurst, David K. The New Ecology of Leadership: Business Mastery in a Chaotic World. West Sussex PO: Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Kegan, Robert, Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization. Cambridge: Harvard Business Review Press, 2009.
- Longman, Karen, Thriving in Leadership: Strategies for Making a Difference in Christian Higher Education. Abilene TX: Abilene Christian University Press, 2012.
- Mumford, Michael D., ed, Handbook of Organizational Creativity. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2011.
- Nohria, Nitin and Rakesh Khurana, eds, Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice. Cambridge: Harvard Business Review Press, 2010.
- Northouse, Peter G. Leadership: Theory and Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012.
- Rainey, David L. Enterprise-Wide Strategic Management: Achieving Sustainable Success through Leadership, Strategies, and Value Creation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Renz, David and Robert D. Herman, The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management. San Francisco CA: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Shlomo, Ben-Hur and Karsten Jonsen, “Ethical leadership: lessons from Moses”, Journal of Management Development, 31, 9 (2012): 962-973.
- Tourish, Dennis, The Dark Side of Transformational Leadership: A Critical Perspective. Oxford: Routledge, 2013.
- Valk, John, Leadership for Transformation: The Impact of a Christian Worldview”, Journal of Leadership, 4, 3 (Autumn-Fall 2010): 83-86.
- Van Wart, Montgomery and Paul Suino, Leadership in Public Organizations: An Introduction. Armonk NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2012.
- Yukl, Gary A. Leadership in Organisations, 8th Edition. New York: Pearson Education, 2012.