Details for Foundations of Pastoral Ministry
In this introductory subject, students will explore a broad variety of topics that form the very basis of pastoral ministry. Primarily, students will consider contemporary pastoral models that connect academic reflection with the real world. Topics discussed will range from defining ministry, calling and ordination to conflict resolution, and being effective in caring for others. Students will also be provided with ample opportunity to engage creatively with these topics to make connections with their own contexts.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: MIN401
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Daryl Potts
Awards offering Foundations of Pastoral Ministry
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
Foundations of Pastoral Ministry will provide a broad basis to explore the field of pastoral (or practical) theology, using insights and resources from a range of fields, including biblical studies, pastoral (or practical) theology, social science tools, etc. This will assist you as you navigate pertinent issues in relation to the challenges of ministry.
- Outline a biblical basis for pastoral ministry.
- Display detailed knowledge of the breadth of issues relevant to pastoral ministry.
- Describe the convergence of life journey, spiritual experiences and ministry opportunities in developing pastoral ministry.
- Differentiate between various facets of pastoral ministry.
- Demonstrate an indepth understanding of pastoral care in line with various relevant models and theories.
- Critically analyse pastoral issues as they relate to the well-being of the congregant, pastor, congregation and community.
- Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
- Biblical Foundations for Pastoral Ministry
- The Well-being of the Minister
- Pastoral Care Models/Pastoring in and through Community
- Departmental Ministry in an Inter-Generational Church
- Calling, Ordination & Women in Ministry
- Pastoring in Postmodernism
- Human Sexuality & Ministry
- To the Ends of the Earth: A Missions Focus
- Ministry Practices: Communication Skills, Conflict Resolution, and Time Management
- Building Effective Leadership Structures
- Ministering with and through the Creative Arts
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face-to-Face (onsite)
- Distance/E-Learning (online)
- Student Blog Reflection (20%)
- Minor Essay (30%)
- Major Essay (50%)