Details for Years K-6 Language and Literacy
This subject specifically focuses on the continued consolidation of a Tertiary Education Student’s (TES) understanding of English content strands literacy and language.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: CRS306
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Stephen Brinton
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Years K-6 Language and Literacy
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Associate Degree in Education Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (Education Studies)
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Diploma of Education Studies
This subject specifically focuses on the continued consolidation of a Tertiary Education Student’s (TES) understanding of English content strands literacy and language. The integration of literacy forms one of the general capabilities in the Australian Curriculum and NESA K-10 syllabus document. The importance of Literacy across the curriculum cannot be understated especially in relation to the English syllabus. TES will critically explore how literacy reflects the application of various pedagogies and theories of English and related cross-curriculum subjects. TES will develop strategies for differentiation across the full range of abilities. Pedagogies and theories are explored in light of Christian and alternative worldviews.
- Critically examine research papers and evidence-based findings on approaches into teaching and learning related to language and literacy.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understandings of literacy strategies and their incorporation as general capabilities in ACARA and NSW NESA syllabuses.
- Critically evaluate the concepts that underpin literacy and literature and their importance within different cultural belief systems including Australian Indigenous communities.
- Identify and apply a range of teaching strategies for integrating literacy and language into their chosen learning areas.
- Plan and assess engaging lesson sequences for the full range of abilities, including diverse learners (linguistic, cultural and socioeconomic), drawing from the relevant ACARA or NSW NESA syllabi
- NESA English Syllabus K-10
- Values Education
- Teaching Stage ES1 - 3 English Content and Skills
- Teaching for Diverse Settings
- Critical Personal Reflection
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to face (onsite)
- eLearning (online)
- Forum Posts (20%)
- Case Study Presentation (45%)
- Lesson Plan Sequence and Justification (35%)
- References will include the most current curriculum requirements for schools.
Check with the instructor each semester before purchasing any prescribed texts or representative references