Details for Practicum A
This subject provides an intensive learning experience in practical counselling. You will learn from experience by working with counsellees in a clinical setting, supplemented by individual and group supervision, and the opportunity to reflect on your cases in other subjects in the course. You will also gain a broader understanding of presenting problems, diagnosis, assessment and management through case conferences involving an approved mix of peer review, professional development and supervisors.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: EXP450
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Katherine Hurrell
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Practicum A
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Evaluate presenting and underlying problems and think strategically about possible explanations – individual, systemic, cultural, psychological and spiritual;
- Work with individual autonomy and as part of a team; use and continue to develop a network of supportive relationships with professionals in other settings;
- Critically discuss cultural issues in their sector and show sensitivity and respect when dealing with clients of different cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrate competence in assessment, wisdom in intervention, promptness in necessary referrals, and ethical principles in counselling/pastoral care situations.
- Supervised practical experience which offers opportunity for observation, client contact, reflection and critical supervision
- Experience of the working practices of the placement context and operating within its administrative framework
- Opportunity to explore, discuss and share their personal growth in relationship to placement
- Participating in a professional supervised relationship
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Onsite (on campus)
- Online (e-Learning)
- Placement Log Book (20%)
- Supervision, PD and Research Portfolio (40%)
- Live Client Session and Analysis (40%)
- Cleak, H.M., & Wilson, J. (2019). Making the most of field placement (4th ed.). South Melbourne: Cengage Learning Australia.
Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks.