Rev. Dr Adam WhiteHead of Biblical Studies, Senior Lecturer in Biblical Studies
Contact Adam White
Adam began his working career as a spraypainter and from there moved into ministry as a youth pastor then an associate pastor at Riverlands Christian Church in Penrith. Then at the age of 25 he felt called to study theology at Southern Cross College (now AC); this continued through an honours degree up to a Doctorate of Ancient History at Macquarie University. He is married to Rachel and has a daughter named Sophia and two sons, Alexander, and Sebastian.
PhD in Ancient History (Macquarie University)
Dissertation Title “Where is the Wise Man? Graeco-Roman Education as a Background to the Divisions in 1 Corinthians 1–4.” 2013
BTh with Honours (Alphacrucis College)
Dissertation Title “A Comparative Analysis of 1 Corinthians 1–4 and 2 Corinthians 10–13 in Light of Paul’s Ongoing Relationship with the Church.” 2009
Adam's primary interests are Graeco-Roman history, ancient education and culture, and Pauline studies.
Field of Research
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- Adam G. White (2015). Where is the Wise Man? Graeco-Roman Education as a Background to the Divisions in 1 Corinthians 1-4.. Library of New Testament Studies 536. Harrisburg, PA: T&T Clark.
- Adam G. White (2019). God Chose the Poor: Recapturing the Radical Vision of Early Pentecostalism and the Original Pauline Communities. In Antipas Harris and Michael Palmer, The Holy Spirit and Social Justice: Interdisciplinary Global Perspectives (pp. 194–216). Lanham, MD: Seymour Press.
- Adam G. White (2018). New Adventures in Sound Mapping: A First-Timer’s Attempt at a New Methodology. In Margaret Lee, Sound Matters: New Testament Studies in Sound Mapping (pp. 27-42). Wipf & Stock. | Link to journal
- Adam G. White (2020). 'Three Strikes, You’re Out!’ A Reflection on Church Excommunication in Light of Pauline Practice.”. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, 29.2 275-296.
- Adam G. White (2020). Paul’s Absence from Corinth as Voluntary Exile: Reading 2 Corinthians 1.1–2.13 and 7.5–16 as a Letter from Exile.. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, 43.1 44-66.
- Adam G. White, Lily Arasaratnam-Smith (2018). The Messenger Now and Then: A Socio-cultural Analysis of the Roles and Responsibilities of the ‘Preacher.’. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, 27.1 146-158. | Link to journal | External link
- Adam G. White (2017). Visualising Paul’s Appeal: A Performance Critical Analysis of the Letter to Philemon.. The Oral History Journal of South Africa, 5.2 1-16. | Link to journal | External link
- Adam G. White (2017). The Rod as Excommunication: A Possible Meaning for an Ambiguous Metaphor in 1 Corinthians 4.21.. Journal for the Study of the New Testament, 39.4 388–411. | Link to journal | AC Link
- Adam G. White (2016). Pentecostal Preaching as a Modern Epistle: A Comparison of Pentecostal Preaching with Paul’s Practice of Letter Writing.. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, 25.1 123-149. | AC Link
- Adam G. White (2016). Obey as to the Lord: Christian Slaves and the Call to Worship.. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, 18.
- Adam G. White (2015). Not in Lofty Speech or Media: A Reflection on Pentecostal Preaching in Light of 1 Corinthians 2:1-5.. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, 24.1 117-135. | AC Link
- Adam G. White (2014). Servants, Not Intellectual Clients: The Significance of Paul’s Role as an Oikonomos in 1 Cor 4:1 and 9:17.. Australian Biblical Review, 62 44-57.
- Adam G. White (2012). Knowledge and Transformation: towards a ‘Pentecostal Paideia’.. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, .
- “Watch out for that one!” Evaluating a Pauline Command Through the Lens of the Black Sheep Effect (2019), Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, San Diego, 23 Nov 2019
- “‘If a Person Doesn’t Work, They Shall Not Eat!’ An Early Christian Formula for Excommunication?” (2019), Society of Biblical Literature International, Rome, Italy, 16 Jul 2019
- “God Chose the Poor: 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 and the Social Upheaval of the Gospel.” (2018), Annual Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Cleveland, Tennessee, 08 Mar 2018
- "Visualising Paul’s Appeal: A Performance Critical Reading of Philemon.” (2017), Society of Biblical Literature International Conference, Berlin, 22 Jun 2017
- "Three Strikes, You're Out!" A Reflection on Church Discipline, Then and Now. (2017), Society for Pentecostal Studies Annual Conference, St Louis, Missouri, 09 Mar 2017
- Paul, the Rod, and Excommunication: A Possible Meaning to an Ambiguous Metaphor in 1 Corinthians 4:21 (2016), Society of Biblical Literature International Conference, Seoul, Korea, 18 Jul 2016
- The Transformative Performance of Pentecostal Sermons: a Comparison of Pentecostal Preaching with the Early Church’s Practice of Letter Writing (2016), Annual Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, San Dimas, California, 05 Mar 2016
- Echoes of Empedocles: A Pre-Socratic Citation in 1 Corinthians 2:9? (2015), Society of Biblical Literature, Beunos Aires, Argentina, 24 Jul 2015
- "Yes, But I Follow Seneca!" Was a Desire for Their Own Seneca Behind the Factions in Corinth? (2014), The second Fellowship for Biblical Studies National Conference, University of Sydney, 14 Sep 2014
- Obey as to the Lord: Paul’s Advice to the Ephesian Slaves as a “Hermeneutic of Worship” (2014), Annual Meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Springfield, MO, 28 Mar 2014
- Value Formation and Value judgement: Graeco-Roman paideia as a backdrop to Paul’s judgement language in 1 Cor 4.1-5 (2012), Fellowship for Biblical Studies National Conference, Melbourne, 03 Sep 2012
- Paul’s Educational Imagery in His Conflict with the Corinthians (2012), Society of Biblical Literature International Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 13 Jul 2012
- Paul and Paideia: Greco-Roman education as a background to Paul’s conflict in Corinth (2011), Ancient History Research Seminar, Macquarie University, Sydney, 15 Sep 2011
- Adam G. White (2020). Review of Scot McKnight and Greg Mamula (eds.), Conflict Management and the Apostle Paul. Review of Biblical Literature, .
- Adam G. White (2020). Review of Moshe Blidstein, Purity, Community, and Ritual in Early Christian Literature. Religious Studies Review, 45.2 207-208.
- Adam G. White (2018). Review of Christopher D. Land, The Integrity of 2 Corinthians and Paul’s Aggravating Absence. Review of Biblical Literature, . | Link to journal
- Adam G. White (2017). Review of B. J. Oropeza, Exploring Second Corinthians: Death and Life, Hardship and Rivalry. Review of Biblical Literature, . | AC Link
- Adam G. White (2015). Review of Jay Twomey, 2 Corinthians: Crisis and Conflict. Review of Biblical Literature, .
Society for Pentecostal Studies interest group and SBL International (since 2017)
- ANL351 New Testament Greek 3
- BIB252 The Prison Epistles
- BIB253 The Pastoral Epistles
- BIB254 The World of the New Testament
- BIB351 Luke-Acts
- BIB352 Romans and Galatians
- BIB353 I & II Corinthians
- BIB354 The General Epistles
- BIB552 The Prison Epistles
- BIB554 The World of the New Testament
- BIB561 Luke-Acts
- BIB562 Romans and Galatians
- BIB563 I & II Corinthians
- BIB590 New Testament Field Study
- BIB601 Methods in Biblical Studies
- BIB602 Seminar Presentation of Research in Biblical Studies
- RES501(MCS) Research Project
- RES602 Research Project
- Furness, A., Unknown (Doctoral Thesis)
- Griffith, J., Unknown (Doctoral Thesis)
- Hall, C., Unknown (Doctoral Thesis)
- McPherson, K., The Faith and Work Movement in Australia (Doctoral Thesis)
If you’d like to contact Adam, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.