Rev Dr Nigel PegramDoctor of Ministry Program Director
Contact Nigel Pegram
Nigel has been an ordained minister of Churches of Christ in Australia since 1990. He has had roles in local church ministry and at state and national levels. He has been married for over thirty years and has two adult children. He is passionate about long-term sustainable ministry whereby Christians are able to develop their gifts and skills to the full for the benefit of the Kingdom of God and the wider community.
DMin (Tabor Adelaide)
Dissertation Title Emotional Intelligence and the Prevention of Ministry Burnout 2015
MTh (Melbourne College of Divinity)
Dissertation Title Exegetical Issues in Hosea 1-3 1999
BTh (Hons) (Murdoch University)
Dissertation Title The Translation of אַף כִּי־ Using Functional Grammar 1989
DipMin (Hons) (Churches of Christ Theological College, Mulgrave, Vic) 2000
Models of provision of chaplaincy in Western Australian hospitals
This project examines the method of provision of chaplaincy, with particular focus on atypical models of provision. The strengths and limitations of these models are compared with more standard models of provision.
Burnout among ministers in Western Australia
This project examines the levels of burnout among ministers in WA. In addition it compares the PANAS and Francis Burnout Inventory (FBI) to examine some concerns about the construct validity of the FBI.
The person and practice of ministry, particularly sustainability in ministry. Other ministry interests include teamwork, leadership, spiritual formation, and organisational leadership. Biblical studies is another key area, with an emphasis on the Hebrew Bible.
Field of Research
- 1699 Other Studies in Human Society
- 1701 Psychology
- 2204 Religion and Religious Studies
- Pegram, N.D. & Tan R. (2010). Ministry Life Skills Foundations. Minstry Life Skills Centre, Perth.
- Pegram, N.D.(2012). Emotional Intelligence and Ministry Burnout In Jon Newton, New Frontiers: Redefining Christian Ministry in 21st Century Contexts (pp. 154-188). Mosaic, Preston, Vic.
- Pegram, N. (2018). Emotion and Ministry, a Study in Research Methodology. Journal of Contemporary Ministry, 4 47-60. | Link to journal
- Pegram, N.D.(2017). Passion and Sustainable Ministry. Pointers: Bulletin of the Christian Research Association, 27(2) 7-10.
- Pegram, Nigel (2017). Appreciative Inquiry — A Strategy for Being a Healthy Church. Journal of Contemporary Ministry, 3 67-81. | Link to journal
- Moving forward in empirical ministry research: case studies in measuring emotional intelligence and passion in Christian ministry (2019), British and Irish Association for Practical Theology, Liverpool, UK, 09 Jul 2019
Addressing Workplace Injustice: The Contribution of Nonviolent Communication and Emotional Intelligence (2018), Ministry Research Conference, Knox, Vic, 06 Sep 2018
Co-presenter: Glamorgan, A.
Navigating Ministry Life Transitions (2017), Harvest Research Conference, Scoresby, Vic, 25 Aug 2017
Co-presenter: Buchanan, G.
- Emotion and ministry: in search of intelligence (2015), Harvest Ministry Research Conference, Scoresby, Vic, 28 Aug 2015
- Appreciative inquiry—a strategy for being a healthy church (2014), BIAPT Annual Conference, Edinburgh, UK, 15 Jul 2014
- Appreciative inquiry—a strategy for being a healthy church (2014), ANZATS Annual Conference, Fremantle, WA, 01 Jul 2014
- Appreciative inquiry—a strategy for being a healthy church (2013), Harvest Research Conference, Scoresby, Vic, 28 Aug 2013
- Emotional Intelligence and Ministry Burnout (2012), New Frontiers: Redefining Christian Ministry in 21st Century Contexts, Dandenong, Vic, 23 Aug 2012
- Pegram, ND (2020). Review of Writing a Watertight Thesis. Practical Theology, 13.4. | Link to journal
- Pegram, N. (2016). Review of "The willpower instinct: how self-control works, why it matters, and what you can do to get more of it" by K. McGonigal. Journal of Contemporary Ministry, 2 109-110. | Link to journal
- Pegram, N.D.(1989). Book Review: Schiffrin, D., "Discourse Markers". Australian Journal of Linguistics, 9(2) 356-357. | Link to journal
International Association for Mission Studies (since 2020)
Society for Pastoral Theology (since 2017)
The British & Irish Association for Practical Theology (BIAPT) (since 2013)
- LEA701 Theory and Practice in Leadership
- LEA802 Advanced Studies in Leadership
- MIN101 Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
- MIN202 Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN205 Church and Society
- MIN302 Discipleship
- MIN305 Relationships
- MIN401 Foundations of Pastoral Ministry
- MIN505 Relationships
- MIN505(MCS) Discipleship
- MIN507 Church and Society
- MIN509 Discipleship
- MIN510 Communicating the Christian Faith
- MIN701 Theory and Practice in Ministry
- MIN802 Advanced Studies in Ministry
- RES701 Research Methods
- RES801 Survey of Research Methods
- RES802 Research Thesis
- RES803 PhD Research Thesis
- SSC101 Psychology of Emotion
- SSC201 Human Lifespan Development
- SSC403 Psychology of Emotion
- SSC501 Human Lifespan Development
- THE320 Theology and Psychology
- Attia, Y., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- D'Sa, P., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Kipps, D., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- O'Hara, J., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Raggoo, H., tba (Masters Project/Thesis)
- Bird, L., Unknown (Doctoral Thesis)
- Newton, J., What aspects of Inner Healing Prayer do clients find most helpful to wellbeing? (Doctoral Thesis)
- Wills, E., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Smith, S., ‘Examining mechanisms by which women exercise observable public sphere influence within the patriarchal and conservative religious context of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’ (Doctoral Thesis)
- Taylor, P., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Stuart, B., What are Christians’ understandings and experiences of the Kingdom of God in a Third Place? (Masters Project/Thesis), 2020
- Strydom, H.R., What are the levels of burnout amongst ministers in WA churches? (Masters Project/Thesis), 2020
- Oluwasola, O., Factors in successful adaptation of African migrant youth and its ministry implications (Masters Project/Thesis), 2019
- Petterson, F., Building a Church of Many Cultures, moving a mono-cultural Danish church toward multiculturalism (Masters Project/Thesis), 2018
- Drummond, A., Types of external expert helps/resources that people in ministry are using for the purpose of self-leadership amongst Pentecostal pastors (Masters Project/Thesis), 2017
- Law, M., Professional and Personal Staff Empowerment (Doctoral Thesis), 2015
If you’d like to contact Nigel, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.