Fit and Proper Person Policy
The purpose of this Policy is to ensure that the interests of Alphacrucis University College (AC) students, staff, and other stakeholders are managed and overseen competently and by honest and trustworthy individuals.
All Council members
All AC Council members must be fit and proper to fulfil both their individual and collective duties. In order to meet a standard of fitness and propriety, relevant persons must have appropriate knowledge, skills and experience as required for their position, and must act with honesty and integrity.
AC must clearly document the required level knowledge, skills and experience for each position.
In determining whether a person is proper to hold a position on Council, AC shall consider the following factors, which, though not exhaustive, include whether the person has:
• resisted compliance with legal obligations or regulatory requirements;
• been misleading or untruthful in dealing with regulatory bodies;
• perpetrated or participated in discreditable professional practices;
• been reprimanded or terminated from a position in relation to matters relating to the person's honesty, integrity or business conduct;
• ever been the subject of civil or criminal proceedings;
• a conflict of interest that will influence their ability to carry out their role and function.
Demonstration of one or more of the above criterion may not, in itself, exclude an individual from being fit and proper. However, demonstration of one or more of the above criterion shall necessitate further consideration of a person’s status or suitability to be appointed or continue to act in a position of key responsibility.
In order to make sure that the fitness requirements are met and maintained, if a fit and proper assessment shows that a person does not have up to date knowledge in a required area, the person must undertake any training reasonably required by AC so as to meet or to continue to meet the required level of knowledge and skills.
Responsible for implementation
Whole of AC
Fit and Proper Person Procedure
The proposed appointee is required to:
• complete and sign a Fit and Proper Persons Declaration;
• provide copies of their resume and relevant qualifications;
• consent to AC obtaining and verifying information for the purpose of assessing their fitness and propriety;
• consent to AC obtaining a police check;
• agree to comply with the request to undertake any training reasonably required by AC so as to meet or to continue to meet the required level of knowledge and skills.
• verify the information provided;
• obtain a police check;
• offer the proposed appointee the position and have them sign a consent to appointment.
• There is a change in circumstances that affects or may affect their ability to continue meeting the standards for fitness and propriety