Details for World of the Old Testament
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: BIB534
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Emma Austin
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering World of the Old Testament
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Evaluate and reconstruct the historical and geographical background and social context of the OT.
- Critically analyse and discuss various OT passages and themes through historical-critical exegesis and engagement with a wide variety of primary and secondary sources;
- Examine and exegete the OT in light of everyday life in Bible times;
- Illustrate in-depth how the historical, geographical and cultural context of the Israelite community can inform a contemporary application.
- Nuances of culture
- Personal and social identity
- Family structures
- Shepherds, nomads and the law
- Food production and hospitality
- International trade and economy
- Neighbours and religions
- Dreams and attempts to know the unknown
- Craft, clothing and music
- Literacy and education
- Illness, death and burial
- Marking time and festivals
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to face (onsite)
- eLearning (online)
- Reading Responses (20%)
- Major Exegesis (50%)
- Contemporary presentation (30%)
Wright, Paul H. Holman Illustrated Guide to Biblical Geography : Reading the Land. Nashville, Tennessee: B&H Publishing Group, 2020.
Please consult your instructor before purchasing any textbooks.