Details for Theory and Practice in Leadership
This subject explores contemporary organisational leadership studies, studying and observing behaviour, complex experimental designs, advanced statistical analysis, ethical considerations and an application of knowledge to enhance Christian leadership. Students will apply advanced research skills on a topic of research on a contemporary leadership issue that will inform and enhance Christian leadership practice.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: LEA601
- Credit points: 20
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Theory and Practice in Leadership
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Demonstrate a systemic and critical understanding of complex and advanced organisational leadership issues and models;
- Demonstrate an expert ability to autonomously and analytically engage in critical reflection, synthesis and evaluation of specific leadership and organisational contexts;
- Critically assess and apply effective leadership research designs and practices, systems theory, organisational culture, communication, and change processes as they relate to individuals and organisations
- Propose a topic of research on a contemporary leadership issue and develop an articulate research approach;
- Display an advanced level of integrative reflection which will inform and enhance Christian leadership practice.
- Contemporary organisational leadership studies
- Studying and observing behaviour
- Complex experimental designs
- Advanced statistical analysis
- Ethical considerations
- Application of knowledge to enhance Christian leadership
Forum postings, Minor project, Major project
While there are general readings noted below, specific readings will be selected according to the leadership field of expertise.
- Cozby, P. (2007). Methods in Behavioral Research, 9th ed, Mountain View CA: Mayfield Publishing Company.
- Gardner Howard E. and Laskin Emma, Leading Minds: An Anatomy of Leadership. New York: Basic Books, 2011.
- Galvão-Sobrinho,Carlos R. Doctrine and Power: Theological Controversy and Christian Leadership in the Later Roman Empire. University of California Press, 2013.
- Hurst, David K. The New Ecology of Leadership: Business Mastery in a Chaotic World. West Sussex PO: Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Kegan, Robert, Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization. Cambridge: Harvard Business Review Press, 2009.
- Longman, Karen, Thriving in Leadership: Strategies for Making a Difference in Christian Higher Education. Abilene TX: Abilene Christian University Press, 2012.
- Mumford, Michael D., ed, Handbook of Organizational Creativity. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2011.
- Nohria, Nitin and Rakesh Khurana, eds, Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice. Cambridge: Harvard Business Review Press, 2010.
- Northouse, Peter G. Leadership: Theory and Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012.
- Rainey, David L. Enterprise-Wide Strategic Management: Achieving Sustainable Success through Leadership, Strategies, and Value Creation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Renz, David and Robert D. Herman, The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management. San Francisco CA: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Shlomo, Ben-Hur and Karsten Jonsen, “Ethical leadership: lessons from Moses”, Journal of Management Development, 31, 9 (2012): 962-973.
- Tourish, Dennis, The Dark Side of Transformational Leadership: A Critical Perspective. Oxford: Routledge, 2013.
- Valk, John, Leadership for Transformation: The Impact of a Christian Worldview”, Journal of Leadership, 4, 3 (Autumn-Fall 2010): 83-86.
- Yukl, Gary A. Leadership in Organisations, 8th Edition. New York: Pearson Education, 2012.
- Journal of Leadership
- Journal of Religious Leadership
- Leadership & Organization Development Journal
- Leadership Quarterly