Details for Write Songs
To create is to be human. This subject equips students with an understanding of compositional techniques so they can compose their own original music. Students will gain an understanding of harmonic and melodic structures and will arrange song elements to maximise the intent and impact of songs.
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: WOR002
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Daniel Thornton
Awards offering Write Songs
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Diploma of Leadership
- Diploma of Ministry
- Undergraduate Certificate in Arts
- Undergraduate Certificate in Christian Music
- Undergraduate Certificate in Ministry
- Explain contemporary song structures;
- Create lyrical content;
- Select relevant harmonic and melodic structures;
- Compose songs;
- Arrange song elements to maximise the intent and impact of songs.
- Song Structures
- Writing lyrics
- Melodic writing
- Contemporary popular harmonic language
- Arranging techniques
- Song analysis
- Lyrics and theology
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Face to Face (onsite)
- Distance/E-learning (online)
- Intensive (One week: 7 hours per day for 5 days = 35 class hours + approx 85 hours out of class time for research, writing, exam preparation and execution, ancillary activities associated with completion of assigned tasks)
- Lyric Analysis (50%)
- Write Lyrics (20%)
- Perform Song (30%)
Baroni, D. The Heart and the Art of Songwriting. Kingdomsongs Inc., 2016.
Blume, J. This Business of Songwriting, 2nd ed. Harpethhills Press, 2013.
Books, White Dove. Songwriting, how to write a song, hit, music, music theory, music business, lyrucs: How to Write a Winner! 2015.
Cherry, C.M., The worship architect: A blueprint for designing culturally relevant and biblically faithful services. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2010.
Evans, M., Open Up The Doors: Music in the Modern Church, London: Equinox, 2006.
Hunter, D.A. How to Write Songs: Writing Lyrics and Guitar Songs. Amazon Australia Services, 2013.
Knight, M. How to Write a Song: A Beginner's Guide to the Essentials of Song Writing - Including How to Write Lyrics!. Miafn LLC, 2015.
Llewellyn, T. Successful Songwriting: A How-to Manual for Christian Songwriters. CreateSapce Independent Publishing Platform, 2011.
Noland, R., The Worshiping Artist: Equipping You and Your Ministry Team to Lead Others in Worship. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2009.
Oliver, B. How [Not] to Write A Hit Song! – 101 Common Mistakes To Avoid if you Want Songwriting Success. Rapido Books, 2013.
Sterling, R. The Craft of Christian Songwriting. Hal Leonard, 2009.
Stolpe, A. Popular Lyric Writing: 10 steps to effective storytelling. Berklee Press Publications, 2007.
Thornton, D. Exploring the Contemporary Congregational Song Genre: Texts, Practice, and Industry. PhD Thesis, Macquarie University, 2016.