Performer’s Certificate (Piano)
M.Music Tech (Distinction)
B.Mus (Composition) (inc)
A.Arts in Religious Studies
Certificate IV - TAE
Daniel is a member of the Faculty of Education Faculty of Theology and School of Vocational Education and Training , and specialises in the following areas: Music and Creative Arts .
Daniel Thornton: accomplished and awarded songwriter, musician and worship leader, sought-after minister and educator. He is the world's leading expert on contemporary congregational songs. He is the Head of Deparment, Music and Creative Arts at Alphacrucis College, and serves local churches and their worship teams around the globe as well as being engaged as a professional composer and performer.
From 2007 - 2010, Daniel served as the Music Pastor at Paradise Community Church (Adelaide, South Australia) and previously as the Worship and Associate Pastor at North Shore Christian Centre in Sydney Australia for over 8 years.
He regularly produces/records and releases Worship CDs/DVDs including Christmas Presence, For Worshipers, from Worshipers, Daniel|Piano|Worship Classics 2, It is Well - Instrumentals (2011), Worship Classics (2010), Above All Else (2010), One Heart (2009), Worship Always (2009), Paradise(2008), It is Well - Vol 2(2007), It is Well - Vol 1(2006), Beyond Words (2004), and many more. Some of these recordings/performances are featured weekly on the NSCC TV show LifeSource and the Paradise TV shows.
His songs are sung in churches around the world including “Father”, “Come into the House” and “Presence Beautiful”. Daniel’s passion is to connect people with God and see the church rise to its fullest potential.
Daniel has performed a starring role on in an Off-Broadway premiere at the Duke Theatre on 42nd Street, New York of the new musical "Angels". His recent starring roles in musical theatre productions also include, Godspell, !Hero and The Prodigal.
Six years at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and a music scholarship to London provided much of Daniel's formal training. During that time, the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and other prestigious ensembles performed his compositions. After completing his studies, Daniel was appointed Music Director for Penrith Christian Fellowship Centre, then Penrith City Church and later Worship Pastor at C3 Mt Annan.
Daniel is an ordained minister with the Australian Christian Churches. His formal qualifications include Ph.D., M.Music Technology (Distinction), A.Arts (Religious Studies), L.Mus.A. (Theory), Performers Certificate T.C.L.(Piano) and a Cert IV Training and Assessment.
He has owned and run two private music schools, and also lectured for many years at a number of colleges including Hillsong College and the Paradise College of Ministry.
Daniel and his wife Kris have been married for 23yrs and have 3 teenage children.
- BSBWHS201 - Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- CUACMP301 - Implement copyright arrangements
- CUACMP501 - Manage copyright arrangements
- CUAIND303 - Work effectively in the music industry
- CUALED501 - Provide instrumental or vocal tuition
- CUALED502 - Provide tuition for composition
- CUAMCP302 - Write song lyrics
- CUAMCP303 - Develop simple musical pieces using electronic media
- CUAMCP401 - Develop techniques for arranging music
- CUAMCP402 - Develop techniques for composing music
- CUAMCP502 - Compose music for screen
- CUAMLT301 - Develop and apply aural perception skills
- CUAMLT302 - Apply knowledge of style and genre to music industry practice
- CUAMLT401 - Notate music for performance
- CUAMLT501 - Refine aural perception skills
- CUAMPF203 - Develop ensemble skills for playing or singing music
- CUAMPF301 - Develop technical skills in performance
- CUAMPF302 - Prepare for performances
- CUAMPF304 - Make a music demo
- CUAMPF305 - Develop improvisation skills
- CUAMPF401 - Rehearse music for group performances
- CUAMPF404 - Perform music as part of a group
- CUAMPF405 - Develop instrumental techniques
- CUAMPF407 - Develop vocal techniques
- CUAMPF410 - Perform music from written notation
- CUAMPF504 - Perform improvisation for audiences
- CUAMPF505 - Develop technical skills and expand repertoire
- CUAMPF507 - Provide musical leadership in performance
- CUASOU405 - Record sound
- CUASOU409 - Mix recorded music
- CUAWRT503 - Write about music
- EDU521 - Creative Arts
- WOR101 - Introduction to Worship Ministry
- WOR130 - Independent Study in Specific Creative Arts 1
- WOR205 - Worship, Arts and Church History
- WOR215 - Worship in Comparative Religious Contexts
- WOR220 - Lyrics and Theology
- WOR230 - Independent Study in Specific Creative Arts 2
- WOR235 - Ensemble
- WOR301 - Practicum in Worship Ministry
- WOR307 - Technology and Worship Ministry
- WOR310 - Worship in Contemporary Context
- WOR340 - Songwriting
- Online Education
- Online Music Education
- Popular Music Studies, Musicology, Theomusicology
- Music and Worship in the context of the contemporary church
L.Mus.A. (Theory) (Australian Music Examinations Board)
Performer’s Certificate (Piano) (Trinity College of Music London)
PhD (Macquarie University)
Dissertation Title Exploring the Contemporary Congregational Song Genre: Texts, Practice, and Industry
M.Music Tech (Distinction) (University of Newcastle)
B.Mus (Composition) (inc) (Sydney Conservatorium of Music)
A.Arts in Religious Studies (Global University)
Certificate IV - TAE (AWC Training, Adelaide)
Thornton, D., Evans, M. (2015). Singing a New Song: Christian Congregational Music Making and Community in a Mediated Age In Nekola, A. and Wager, T. (Eds.), YouTube: a new mediator of Christian worship (pp. 141-159). Ashgate Publishing.
Thornton, D (2015). A lament for Pentecostal scholarship in contemporary congregational songs. Australasian Pentecostal Studies Journal, 17.
Thornton, D. (2014). What on earth are we singing? A series on the contemporary congregational song Part 5. Worship Leader Magazine, . (available here)
Thornton, D. (2014). What on earth are we singing? A series on the contemporary congregational song Part 4. Worship Leader Magazine, . (available here)
Thornton, D. (2014). What on earth are we singing? A series on the contemporary congregational song Part 3. , . (available here)
Thornton, D. (2014). What on earth are we singing? A series on the contemporary congregational song.. , . (available here)
Thornton, D. (2014). What on earth are we singing? A series on the contemporary congregational song Part 2. , . (available here)
Thornton, D (2015). Pentecostals, popular worship, and personal preferences. Paper presented at the Fandom and Religion Conference, Leicester, UK, . (available here)
Thornton, D (2016). The rise and rise of global contemporary congregational songs. Paper presented at the International Society for Media, Religion, and Culture Conference, Seoul, Korea, .
Thornton, D (2016). At the nexus of Christian education, music, and young people. Paper presented at the DNA of Christian Schooling, Makay, QLD, .
Thornton, D (2013). Considerations leading to the implementation of Australia's first online delivery for the Certificate IV in Music. Paper presented at the XIX National ASME Conference, Canberra, ACT, Australia, .
Thornton, D (2016). Popular Music and Pentecostal Worship: A Match Made in Heaven?. Paper presented at the Society of Pentecostal Studies Conference, San Dimas, CA, USA, .
Thornton, D (2014). Contemporary Congregational Songs, YouTube and virtual Christian Communities. Paper presented at the International Society for Media, Religion, and Culture Conference, Canterbury, UK, . (available here)
Thornton, D (2015). Ambivalent fame: Insights from the most sung composers of contemporary congregational songs. Paper presented at the Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives, Oxford, UK, . (available here)
Thornton, D. (2014). Contemporary Congregational Songs, YouTube and virtual Christian Communities. Paper presented at the International Society for media, religion, and culture conference, , . (available here)
If you’d like to contact Daniel, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.