Details for Human Lifespan Development
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: SSC510
- Credit points: 10
- Subject coordinator: Katherine Hurrell
The following courses are prerequisites:
Awards offering Human Lifespan Development
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Graduate Certificate in Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Wellbeing Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Arts
- Graduate Diploma in Leadership
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Social Science
- Graduate Diploma of Counselling
- Master of Arts
- Master of Leadership
- Describe the main developmental tasks and milestones associated with each stage in human development over the lifespan, and outline the issues and needs that commonly arise in each stage;
- Examine different developmental theories and use these as a vehicle to critically reflect on your own developmental journey;
- Appraise critical perspectives on developmental psychology and consider cultural differences in development across the lifespan;
- Discuss effective strategies to assist people in accomplishing developmental tasks associated with each stage in the lifespan and with transitions between stages.
- The physical, cognitive, psychological, social and spiritual development of a person through the following stages of a typical lifespan –prenatal, infancy, toddlerhood, early childhood, middle childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, late adulthood and the end of life
- Different theories of human development.
- The place of relationship, work and leisure in human development.
- Common concerns of aging such as retirement, mental health, relationships, bereavement and death.
- Counselling practice aimed at helping people meet developmental tasks and stages.
- Key theories on developmental psychology.
This course may be offered in the following formats
- Onsite (face-to-face)
- Online (e-Learning)
- Exam (20%)
- Pictorial Timeline and Critical Reflection (35%)
- Minor Essay (25%)
- Presentation and Written Paper (20%)
- Peterson, C. (2014). Looking forward through the lifespan: Developmental psychology (6th ed.). Sydney, NSW: Pearson
Please consult your instructor prior to purchasing texts