Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership)*
The Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership) is a nested award in the Master of Education (Leadership) designed to equip education professionals with an understanding of a biblical perspective on the philosophical foundations of educational leadership.
The Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership) provides education professionals with a broad understanding of educational leadership principles as well as critical and creative thinking skills which are valuable to any professional context. It also provides the opportunity for students to explore the implication of their faith in their professional context.
The CGEL can be a destination course or exit point, thus allowing flexibility for students who may wish to start with a short postgraduate course before committing to a Master of Education (Leadership) or for students who need to exit the Master of Education (Leadership) earlier than intended, due to unforeseen personal or professional reasons.
The course structure is based on one semester (of 13 weeks duration), with four subjects taught in the semester. It comprises:
- 4 core subjects (40 credit point)
To qualify for award of the degree of Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership) a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 40 credit points, including satisfactory completion of the core subject.
For more information see the Student Handbook.
|Subject code||Subject name||Subject description|
|EDU504||Worldview Perspectives in Education|
|EDU505||A Biblical Vision for Christian School Leadership|
|EDU506||Biblical Principles of School Management|
|Core / Choose one of the following|
|EDU400||Biblical Foundations of Education|
Do you have questions about God that you have been unable t…
AcademicApplicants with Recent Secondary Education (within the past 2 years)
This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution. Applicants with recent high school education only are not eligible for direct entry into this course.Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) Study
This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution. Applicants with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification only are not eligible for direct entry into this course.Applicants with Higher Education Study
Applicants whose highest level of study enrolment since leaving secondary education is a higher education qualification must demonstrate the completion of at least an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree in Education, or equivalent, or completion of a Level 8 or above equivalent postgraduate qualification by an authorised institution. Students who have completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree or overseas equivalent in a field other than Education must demonstrate two years professional experience relevant to the field.
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution. Applicants who have not completed formal higher education study are not eligible for direct entry into this course.
Overseas students are required to demonstrate their English proficiency skills. Such students admitted into our programs must attain an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 7.0 (with no score below 7.0 in any of the four skills areas). IELTS (or equivalent) is not required for applicants who have undertaken five years of required higher education study (or equivalent) in English from an approved country or who have completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification awarded in English under the Australian Qualification Framework by an authorised institution or registered training organisation.
Delivery Mode: Online
Duration: 6 months full-time/up to 3 years part-time
Intakes: Semester 1, Semester 2
Fees & Timetable
A complete Fee Schedule for all Alphacrucis programs and courses can be found in our Fees Information section.
For a full list of course dates for new and continuing
students please see our Timetables.
FEE-HELP is available for eligible students to assist you in financing your studies. For more information and other options, please visit the Financing Your Study page. For students who cannot access government loans, an alternative option is Study Loans, a private student loan provider. To learn more about loans provided by Study Loans, click here.
Course Learning Outcomes
- recognition of the diversity of life values that characterise today’s pluralist societies, and ability to encourage respect, based on informed understanding, of those who hold views that differ from those of the school community;
- understanding of the development of theological and anthropological perspectives on Christian educational leadership practice.
Demonstrated ability to:
- critically evaluate and effectively communicate educational leadership theories and practices in order to most effectively achieve desired learning outcomes with special attention to embedded worldview and life values;
- demonstrate knowledge and higher order of skills that are required for effective Christian educational leadership and training in such areas as teaching, curriculum, administration and research in order to develop, sustain and fulfil the vision and mission of particular school communities;
- articulate a clear understanding of a biblical worldview, and its impact on philosophical and historical trends in education. Plan and implement educational programs in the social and cultural context of the contemporary world that are critically shaped by a biblically informed experience of that world.
Application of Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrated ability to:
- display creativity and flexibility supported by biblically informed, rigorous reasoning in identifying and dealing with emerging problems in the educational leadership context;
- develop a plan for continual personal development that includes spiritual, professional and interpersonal skills for effective school leadership and collegial academic engagement.
*Through a Higher Education Third Party Arrangement (HETPA), the National Institute for Christian Education (NICE) delivers this course of study on AC’s behalf. NICE is a postgraduate training institute that has been developing Christian educators since 1979. For more information about NICE, including the suite of courses they deliver, their teaching faculty, requirements for admission into this course of study, and information about fees and student services, please visit NICE’s website.
This course aims to produce graduates who are competent and reflective professional education leaders who are equipped to engage in life-long learning in their educational profession. The Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership) has been developed primarily for qualified school principals and those in school leadership positions within the Christian Education National schools in Australia, however, the course may be undertaken by education leaders in other school systems in Australia, as well as by students studying online overseas.
For more information on the suite of student support services available, please see our Student Services section.
CRICOS Course Code: 097943F