Emma AustinAssociate Lecturer in Old Testament Studies
Contact Emma Austin
Emma completed her Bachelor of Ministry with Alphacrucis in 2013 and continued on to study the Masters of Theology, with a semester exchange at Jerusalem University College, located on Mount Zion in Israel. After completing her MTh thesis (2015), she returned to Jerusalem to finish her second Masters, focusing on the geography and history of the Bible.
Imbued with a passion for the relationship between the biblical text and the geography of the Promised Land, she is pursuing a PhD using mnemonature as a lens for looking at how the biblical authors use the natural world to enhance the memorability of the Bible.
Ph.D. (cand.) (Alphacrucis University College)
Dissertation Title Mnemonature as an Approach to Old Testament Interpretation: "When I See…I Will Remember" 2024
M.A.(Biblical History and Geography) (Jerusalem University College)
Dissertation Title Cross-Section of the Nations: The Huleh Basin as a Frontier/Borderland 2017
M.Th. (Alphacrucis College)
Dissertation Title Beyond the Face: a case for early Orthodox iconography 2015
B.CMin. (Alphacrucis College)
Dissertation Title Lewis, Tolkien and the Gospel 2013
Cert. IV (TESOL) (Intercultural Training Australia) 2014
Field of ResearchHistorical Studies, Other history, heritage and archaeology, Religious studies, Other Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Austin, E.M.(2023). Beyond the Face: a Pentecostal’s re-evaluation of Orthodox iconography In Dr. Johannes M. Luetz, Rev Prof Denise A. Austin, and Dr Adis Duderija, Interfaith Research, Education, and Practice: Beyond the Divide (pp. ). (in production).
- Austin, E.M. & Grey, J. (2022). The Holy Spirit in the Chronicler & Ezra-Nehemiah In Craig S. Keener and L. William Oliverio Jr., The Spirit throughout the Canon: Pentecostal Pneumatology (pp. 23-27). Leiden: Brill. | External link
- Austin, E. M.(2022). Biblical Field Study as Experiential Pedagogy: Jerusalem University College as a Case Study. International Journal of Christianity and Education, 1-17.
- Austin, E.M.(2022). Dust from Heaven: reading 'ruach tzach' in Jeremiah 4:11-12 through the lens of geography. Australian Biblical Review, 70 18-32. | External link
- Austin, E. and Coetzee, N. (2022). To Build or to Be: An Intertextual Exploration of Sarai's Scheme. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, 23(1) 59-72. | External link
- Austin, E.M. & Grey, J. (2021). The Holy Spirit in the Chronicler & Ezra-Nehemiah. Pneuma, 43, no. 3-4 344–349.
Research and Professional Grants
- Three Minute Thesis Peoples' Choice Award, $500, Alphacrucis University College
- Alphacrucis College Research Grant, $2000, Alphacrucis College
- Walking and Talking with Father Abraham: A Mnemonatura Reading of Genesis (2022), Society of Biblical Literature, Denver, USA, 20 Nov 2022
- What Do You See? Walking and Talking in Jeremiah (2021), Fellowship of Biblical Studies, Zoom, 30 Sep 2021
- Beyond the Face: A Pentecostal Re-Evaluation of Orthodox Iconography (2021), Beyond the Divide, Alphacrucis College, 08 Jul 2021
'You're Blocking My View!': Critical Literacy for Theological Studies (2019), Asia Pacific Theological Association (APTA), Hong Kong, 03 Sep 2019
Co-presenter: Austin, G.P.
- History and Geography of the Bible (2018), Asia Pacific Theological Association (APTA), Singapore, 11 Sep 2018
- Do you hear what I hear?: Analysing the role of Jerusalem's church bells in liturgical sacrifice (2018), ANZATS, Brisbane, QLD, 02 Jul 2018
- Austin, E. (2021). Religious – And Loving It!. , . | External link
- Austin, E. (2021). Isolation And Belonging In J.K. Rowlings’ Harry Potter And Joseph, Prince Of Egypt. , . | External link
- Austin, E. (2020). The Jerusalem Cross Necklace. , . | External link
- Austin, E (2020). The Lost Art of Lamenting. Trash Your Bible, . | External link
- Austin, E (2020). A Series of Unfortunate Events. Trash Your Bible, . | External link
- Austin, E (2020). Sisera Is Not Welcome Here. Trash Your Bible, . | External link
- Austin, E. (2023). Cyril and Evelyn Westbrook (forthcoming).
- Austin, E.M.(2023). Kevin and Glenys Hovey (forthcoming).
- Austin, E. (2023). William George Forbes (forthcoming).
- ANL101 Old Testament Hebrew 1
- ANL201 Old Testament Hebrew 2
- ANL301 Old Testament Hebrew 3
- BIB104 Old Testament Foundations
- BIB213 Historical Books of the Old Testament
- BIB214 World of the Old Testament
- BIB359 New Testament Field Study
- BIB523 Historical Books of the Old Testament
- BIB534 World of the Old Testament
- BIB590 New Testament Field Study
- HIS102 Church History Foundations
- HIS402 Church History Foundations
- Andrina Rijken, Hannah and Naomi (Masters Project/Thesis)
If you’d like to contact Emma, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.