Associate Professor Jon NewtonSenior lecturer; HDR supervisor
Contact Jon Newton
I came to my role at Alphacrucis College after serving for nine years at Harvest Bible College, most recently as Dean of Postgraduate Studies and Research. My PhD was gained at Deakin University (conferred 2007) with a thesis entitled "Postmodernism, Christianity and the Book of Revelation." I am the author of three books: Revelation Reclaimed: The Use and Misuse of the Apocalypse (Paternoster 2009), The Revelation Worldview (Wipf and Stock 2015) and A Pentecostal Commentary on Revelation (Wipf and Stock 2021).. I also edited New Frontiers: Redefining Christian Ministry for 21st Century Contexts (Mosaic 2013). I have also had a number of articles published in peer-reviewed journals such as Australian Biblical Review, Colloquium, Heythrop Journal and Journal of Pentecostal Theology. I was the founding editor of the Journal of Contemporary Ministry and continue in that role under its new oversight. My other main research interest is Australian Pentecostalism; I am now working on a new research project involving recording the stories of older Pentecostal ministers in Australia for future research especially on the post-1970 period. So far we have recorded 86 interviews and I will write a book based on this research.
In other areas of life, I am married to Judy (since 1977) and we attend New Horizons Christian Church, Whittlesea, having served as senior ministers of Oasis Church in Hampton, a bayside suburb of Melbourne, 2011-2018. We moved to Kilmore in March 2019 and run a Christian home group there. We have five married children and four grandchildren. In my spare time, I am passionate about coffee, rugby, classical music, traveling and walking.
PhD (Deakin University)
Dissertation Title Postmodernism, Christianity and the Book of Revelation 2007
MA (Australian College of Theology) 2000
BA (Hons) (ICI University, Texas)
Dissertation Title Application of the Doctrine of the Sovereignty of God 1996
DipEd (University of Sydney) 1970
BA (University of Sydney) 1969
I have just finished a commentary on Revelation for a new Pentecostal Bible commentary series published by Wipf and Stock in February 2021.
I have received an ARTFInc grant ($6000) to start a research project involving recording the memories of older Pentecostal ministers and spouses over the period 1970-2020. This was based partly on a journal article published in the Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, "Spiritual Explosion", which was effectively a literature review of this field of research. 86 interviews have been conducted so far in 3 states (Queenlsnad, NSW and Victoria). I am working with videographer Tex Houston and the interviews are being recorded for future TV documentaries. The data will also be stored at the Australasian Pentecostal Studies Centre (Parramatta) for the use of future researchers.
I am currently supervising doctoral research on the following areas within Alphacrucis College:
- Pastoral care of people with long-term issues in Australian Pentecostal churches (DMin)
- Healing ministry in ACC churches (DMin)
- Strategies for transition of mono-ethnic Pentecostal churches in Victoria (DMin)
- Missional strategies of African Pentecostal churches in Australia (DMin)
- The value of speaking in tongues for the individual (DMin)
I am associate supervisor for a project on Social Welfare in Pentecostal churches of SE Queensland (Australian College of Theology)
I have successfully supervised students to completion in these areas:
- Hearing from God in Pentecostal churches (PhD Alphacrucis)
- Pastoral Care of Same-sex Attracted People (DMin Harvest Bible College)
- Perfomance Criticism of Book of Revelation (PhD University of Divinity; associate supervisor)
Book of Revelation
Christian worldview and apologetics
- Newton, Jon K. (2021). A Pentecostal Commentary on Revelation. Wipf & Stock: USA.
- Newton, J.K.(2015). The Revelation Worldview: Apocalyptic Thinking in a Postmodern World. Wipf and Stock, Eugene, Oregon, USA.
- Newton, J.K.(ed) (2013). New Frontiers: Redefining Christian Ministry for 21st Century Contexts. .
- Newton, J.K.(2009). Revelation Reclaimed: The Use and Misuse of the Apocalypse. .
- Newton, J.K.(2013). New Frontiers In Newton, J.K., New Frontiers: Redefining Christian Ministry in 21st Century (pp. pages 189-208). Mosaic Press, Melbourne.
- Newton, J.K.(2003). Pointing the Way In Ireland, J., Edlin, R., Dickens, K., The Challenge of Postmodernism (pp. ). National Institure for Christian Education (N.I.C.E).
- Newton, Jon K. (2020). Apocalyptic Arithmetic. Heythrop Journal, online pending publication.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). Spiritual Explosion: A Review of the Literature on the Sudden Growth of Pentecostalism in Australia. Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, Vol. 31, No. 1 75-96.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). Not Who They Seem: Community and Identity in the Seven Churches of Revelation. Colloquium: The Australian and New Zealand Theological Review, Vol. 50, No. 2 71-88.
- Newton, J.K., (2018). The Epistemology of the Book of Revelation. Heythrop Journal, 59 (4) 733-746. | External link
- Newton, J.K.(2017). The Full Gospel and the Apocalypse. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, Vol.26, No.1 86-109.
- Newton, J.K.(2015). Patmos and Southland: Australasian Pentecostal Reading of the Book of Revelation. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, Vol. 17. | External link
- Newton, J.K.(2013). The Epistemology of the Book of Revelation. Heythrop Journal, .
- Newton, J.K.(2013). Story-lines in the Book of Revelation. Australian Biblical Review, Volume 61 61-78.
- Newton, J.K.(2011). Time Language and the Purpose of the Millennium. Colloquium, Volume 43, Number 2 147-168.
- Newton, J.K.(2010). Holding Prophets Accountable. Journal of the European Pentecostal Theological Association, Volume 30, Number 1 63-79.
- Newton, J.k. (2010). The Scope of Christian Prophecy. Australasian Pentecostal Studies, Issue 13 59-86.
- Newton, J.K.(2009). Reading Revelation Romantically. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, Volume 18, Number 2 194-215.
Research and Professional Grants
- Pentecostal Reflections, $6000, Australian Research Theology Foundation (ARFTInc)
- Pentecostal Reading of Revelation (2020), GloPent Conference, Birmingham UK /online, 31 Oct 2020
- Determinism and Time in the Book of Revelation (2019), SPS stream at Society of Biblical Literature, San Diego, USA, 25 Nov 2019
- Reading Revelation Missionally (2019), ANZATS Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 02 Jul 2019
- Framing Revelation, Pentecostally (2019), Society for Pentecostal Studies Conference, Maryland, USA, 28 Feb 2019
- Spiritual Explosion: An Analysis Of The Sudden Growth of Pentecostalism In Australia. (2018), Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianities in Oceania Symposium, Alphacrucis College and Western Sydney University., Sydney, Australia., 17 Aug 2018
- Towards a Pentecostal Reading of Revelation (2017), Society of Pentecostal Studies conference, St Louis, USA, 03 Mar 2017
- Newton, J.K.(2015). The Revelation Worldview. Eugene OR: Wipf and Stock.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). Not who they seem: Community and Identity in the Seven Churches of Revelation. Colloquium, 50.2 71-88.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). The Epistemology of the Book of Revelation. Heythrop Journal, 59.4 733-746.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). Spiritual Explosion: A Review of the Literature on the Sudden Growth of Pentecostalism in Australia. Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, 31.1 75-96.
- Newton, J.K.(2017). The Full Gospel and the Apocalypse. Journal of Pentecostal Theology, 26.1 86-109.
- Newton, J.K.(2018). A unique call. AC Blog, .
British and Irish Association of Practical Theology (since 2014)
Fellowship for Biblical Studies (since 2010)
Society of Biblical Literature (since 2015)
Society of Pentecostal Studies (since 2011)
- BIB003 I & II Corinthians
- BIB102 Introduction to Israel's Scriptures (Old Testament)
- BIB352 Romans and Galatians
- BIB355 The Book of Revelation
- BIB562 Romans and Galatians
- BIB563 I & II Corinthians
- BIB565 The Book of Revelation
- MIN802 Advanced Studies in Ministry
- RES801 Survey of Research Methods
- THE204 Pneumatology
- THE503 Spirit and Church
- Newton, R., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Pillay, J., tba (Doctoral Thesis)
- Cat, C., Pastoral Care of people with long-term issues in Pentecostal churches (Doctoral Thesis)
- Harris, T., How Pentecostals hear from God (Doctoral Thesis), 2020
- Baskett, S., Pastoral Care of Same Sex Attracted People in "Welcoming but not affirming' churches (Doctoral Thesis), 2017
- Low, U., A Perfomance Reading of Revelation (Doctoral Thesis), 2017
If you’d like to contact Jon, you can use the form below.
If you’d like a reply, please include your return email address in the box provided.